No announcement yet.

Where's the comfrey??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have lots of plants on our allotment - quite large leaves pointed, with dark blue/purple flowers. is this comfrey? it has suddenly appeared on my plot!

Comment

From this brief description it could be honesty. I'd put both into Google Images and see which resembles yours. The flowers are different.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Maximillian View Post
        we have lots of plants on our allotment - quite large leaves pointed, with dark blue/purple flowers. is this comfrey? it has suddenly appeared on my plot!
        It could be Borage, which is related to comfrey.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          It could be Borage, which is related to comfrey.
          And darn invasive. On my second year trying to get rid
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Borage is apparently even more nutritious (to plants) than comfrey ... but does become a pest when it seeds itself everywhere.

Bocking 14 - superb. Such a brilliant plant. I chucked some old bits of root (that I accidently cut with a spade) in the soil about 2 inches down, and now they are a foot tall. It is really vigorous.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I got some from ebay, looked most unpromising, tho the packaging was good. Potted them up and they are growing away well, about 6" high. Will plant them out when the roots nearly fill the pot.
              Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

bought mine from the organic gardening catty,it arrived a week ago looking like 5 bits of wood 1 inch long, wasn't impressed.
                planted it 1 in deep in 5 inch pots in mp compost.
                planted it out on old manure heap yesterday as it was 3 ins high.
                Pretty impressed now.
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Borage is apparently even more nutritious (to plants) than comfrey ... but does become a pest when it seeds itself everywhere.

Unfortunately it is all over my flower beds! Damn stuff will be left after a nuclear bomb
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Anyone seen it in Edinburgh as i have looked on google but images are not the same as if you looked at real plant (never seen a real one) at least i think not

Comment

I put some root in the ground about 2 months ago and nothing showing yet. I saved a bit and put it in a pot.. that's not showing either.
                      Worried of North Wales.
                      PS My Borage is growing well
                      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Last year I thought it grew everywhere-plants I took for comfrey turned out to be...foxgloves
                        Last edited by coreopsis; 06-05-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          I know this will be of no use to you as far as collecting comfrey is concerned, but it is interesting that there is an abundance of it growing strongly in very poor soil and rubble down the side of a Tesco store in Sheffield!
                          'The Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe' by Richard and Alistair Fitter (Collins) says that Russian Comfrey grows especially in "Dry waysides, [and] waste places", so that'd explain the above, and suggests where to look. The closely related Common Comfrey, (Russian is a hybrid between Common Comfrey and Rough Comfrey), grows typically "By fresh water, fens", and that is what I saw beside the Wendover arm of the Grand Union Canal in June of 2007, according to my note in the book. No doubt Common Comfrey is good for garden purposes as well.
                          Last edited by StephenH; 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM.
                          Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximillian View Post
                            Russian Comfrey has large, pointed leaves, and also blue or purple-blue flowers, according to the aforementioned book, so it sounds like it. Common comfrey has cream or mauve flowers.

RUSSIAN COMFREY

COMMON COMFREY

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            From this brief description it could be honesty. I'd put both into Google Images and see which resembles yours. The flowers are different.
                            HONESTY
                            Last edited by StephenH; 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Borage also has a rounded leaf, a bit bumpy. The flowers are blue and very acceptable frozen into your ice cubes for a Pimms or a G&T in the summer. I also use them in summer salads along with calendula, nasturtium and day lily petals.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

BORAGE

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X