Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripening pumpkins

Just a quick question about my lone pumpkin
    I have mentioned elsewhere that my pumpkin has stopped growing due to partial severing of the stalk when I lifted it to put straw under it It is still very much a green pumpkin, and I was wondering whether if I cut it off the plant and place it in a 'safe place' it will ripen up in time (as green toms do), or is it supposed to ripen on the plant?

It should be left to mature on the plant Waffler.
    [

Comment

That's a shame, because it doesn't look like its going to do much.

Comment

I will have a google after (famed for my googling!) and see if the Americans do anything with green pumpkins.
        [

Comment

Green skinned pumpkin

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
          Just a quick question about my lone pumpkin
          I have mentioned elsewhere that my pumpkin has stopped growing due to partial severing of the stalk when I lifted it to put straw under it It is still very much a green pumpkin, and I was wondering whether if I cut it off the plant and place it in a 'safe place' it will ripen up in time (as green toms do), or is it supposed to ripen on the plant?
          Maybe is a green skinned pumpkin, I have seen someone growing them
          Don Vincenzo

Comment

No, I'm afraid not DV - I took the seed from a very orange pumpkin I bought last year for halloween. Ah well, from that point of view, it cost me nothing.

Comment

I've got a mostly green with a hint of orange one. It's the one and only that made it from a packet of Jack o' Lantern. OH is keen to carve it for halloween, but as well as not being orange it's also quite small. I suppose it will keep him quiet for while, and then he'll be off to Sainsbury's to get one of their giant ones while muttering about my inadequacies as a pumpkin grower. ho hum, maybe I'll have more success next year
              Last edited by FoxHillGardener; 24-10-2006, 03:51 PM. Reason: tpyign!

Comment

I have posted a couple of links to pumpkin recipes in Season To Taste. There is the odd one that uses green, unripe pumpkins you just need to have a look through them.
                [

Comment

Shame. Probably going to have to put this one down to bad luck. You can eat them at any stage but they don't have any flavour that early. However rather than miss eating something you've grown use the flesh as you would any Marrow recipe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X