Which Tomato ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tomato ?

Hi, Just wondered which was the best type of tomato to grow. What i mean is, i have got some cherry size ones for me but need a bigger one for hubby as it takes a long time to slice little ones up for a sandwich .
    preferably one that can be grown outdoors as i dont have a greenhouse or other as yet.

There is no best type....it all depends on what you like.

Comment

Well, what i mean is suggestions of names and so long as they are golf ball size or larger and outdoor grown i don't mind really.

Comment

For sandwiches one of the Marmande (beefsteak) varieties would suit. They grow quite large, a single slice off a Marmande will likely as not cover a slice of bread, and they tend to be less watery, which makes for a drier sandwich. Flavour good if not outstanding and well worth the effort.

Comment

'Tamina' are an average sized salad tomato and are said to do well outside. You can get them from T&M, or the T&M seed rack in a garden centre.

But, if you ask 20 gardeners this question, you're likely to get 40 answers
          Last edited by SarzWix; 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I rather like Tigerella for flavour as a medium tom. I'm growing Brandywine for a whopping slicer!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Chuckles, I've tried 3 types of tomatoes this year and Gardeners Delight seem to be by far the easiest to grow - all the ones I've planted have come up and they are doing very well. They are in the conservatory at the minute at night, hardening off during they day. They are good outdoor ones. Small tomatoes however, but from memory a lovely taste.

Clare

Comment

Since it is a little late in the season I would suggest nipping along to your local market and seeing what they have.
                Ailsa Craige has a good name I think, as does Money Maker.

Send me a PM in late September and I will see what short term maturing I can find for you to try. I have a number of Siberian types.

My best for sandwiches last year was ....... (first sign 'old-hiemers') Flummery knows which one, she slandered it! Then her relatives praised it!
                Best flavour here is BIVOLSKO SERTSY - bull's heart. I have seed for them too.

Comment

It was Black Krim Phreddy! I found it bland but everyone who tried is sang its praises!

My galinas are doing well by the way - and the sweet one. I don't know its name - I'm calling it Phreddy's Sweetie - unless you can tell me different?
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My absolute faves for flavour so far were Grushvkas. Purple and big enough for sandwich slicing.

My first 2 have 2 trusses each and 2 flowers out, so this is going to be the longest wait.

Comment

I would say Ferline for outside growing. Good taste and blight resistant.
                      I found Marmanade didn't get very tasty for me outside last year, I don't think we had enough sun.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

As the name would suggest gardeners delight is a good one for growing in the garden and it's easy to grow.It's an old well proven variety that does quite well regardless of the growing conditions.

Ian

Comment

Cheers folks. Thats certainly given me a list of varieties to try. Looking forward to going to our local market this week as my friend says there is a new stall there and he got loads of veggies. She Got a lovely Glaskins Perpetual rhubarb for 1.50 last week. Thats one on my list of 'Got to have'

Comment

I had marmande outside last year and they were great. I put them against a sunny wall and I think the bounced off heat (when we got any lol) helped.
                            I am trying 'big boy' this year and will prob put one outside.

Comment

I had my marmenade against a sunny wall as well, they looked good, just didn't taste very good, annoying
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X