X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahhhh!!!

No! No! No!
    Unbridled rant forthcoming:

I gave my neighbour 3 tomato plants grown from side shoots. He didn't show much interest and bunged them in pots and left them in a rather Sunless spot but they prospered pretty much by themselves. I've kept a loving eye and chucked a bit of water their way over the fence when it was dry. They've put out fruit ( this late) and the bottom trusses have reddened nicely.
    Today I came out to see him happily shoving the crumpled plants into a bin bag.
    We've got at least another 3 frost free weeks here. They were doing great! P[lenty of nice green toms on them for chutney etc anyway. Wasted!
    This is murder.

Lesson learnt - give any spare plants to the neighbour on the other side next year!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Or don't give them away at all !!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Seeing as we've only recently got our plot we havent planted any toms this year, but we do have a lovely tomato plant growing inbetween the pavers of our back yard! I think the seed must have dropped there during one of our barbecues, its fruited with 5 toms on it, but not yet ripe, think it sprouted too late, but may well have to try using the green toms in some way!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Lucky you, had a self seeded sun flower in the middle of the bean row this year but most of the time it's just weeds with me.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Lol! Got plenty of them down the allotment thanks!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Isn't it strange how the self-seeded plants always seem to do better than the ones you spend time and money on!!

I haven't bought sunflower seeds for years, but my border is full of lovely self-seeded plants in a range of colours. I always leave the heads on so the birds can help themselves to the seeds, and they seem to make sure they leave some on the soil to re-grow.

Comment

maybe he just didn't like tomtoes,but didn't want to upset you by saying no

Comment

I've got a lavendar plant growing between the patio slabs. I'm thinking of how to get it up without killing it, so I can pot it up and plant it somewhere next year. We've also had plenty of self-seeded nigella and poppies - also between patio slabs.

Comment

If you ease it out very gently Waffler (you may need a knife of something) you should still have plenty of root on it. However lavenders are a bit promiscuous and you may have something slightly different to what is in your own garden (if anything) depending on what else is in the vicinity. I've got little lavandula stoechas typs plants springing up self seeded this year. Never had anything off the angustifolia unless I take cuttings. Same with the dentata.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My neighbour & I often share plants & seeds, but hers nearly always grow better tham mine!!
                      Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

I gave toms to a neighbour and they just tossed them in the bin! Didn't even try growing them! Muppets...
                        Best wishes
                        Andrewo
                        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Didn't they realise that it would be less rude to politely refuse your offer than to accept then bin it? Seems a basic lack of manners to me.

Comment

my husband visits sewage works as part of his job and there is always lots of self set tomatoes with lots of red tomatoes on .........but nobody picks them dont know why!!

Comment

Originally posted by andrewo View Post
                              I gave toms to a neighbour and they just tossed them in the bin! Didn't even try growing them! Muppets...
                              Quite!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X