Kabocha

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kabocha

How do I grow Kabocha! I know that it is a Japanese pumpkin and would like to grow some in the garden.
    I brought one from Tesco's recently took the seeds out and zapped it in the microwave for 15 minutes, then mix in a knob of butter and wow! Very tasty. I kept the seeds and dried them off.
    So what’s the score; in the greenhouse or straight in the dirt! When and what with; a dollop of horse or cow!

Never heard of them but would guess that you'd be best starting them off in small pots in the greenhouse next spring. What do they look like, are they similar to the more common pumpkins / squashes we get here?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Kabocha is just a type of squash with quite a few different varieties. I would sow the seeds next April, on their edge, one seed per 4 inch plant pot. If you keep them somewhere warm they should germinate in about a week and be ready for planting out in May.
      [

Comment

Hi Ron.

I agree with LJ on instructions. Don't expect loads and loads of squashes from the plants though... I grew some this year and out of 5 plants I got 4 squashes, whereas I got about 13 butternuts off 5 plants. BUT, definately worth a go.

I didn't give mine any fertilizer, just popped them in the ground around late April/early may time after sowing in pots in April
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Good news: You have discovered the most delicious Squash going. Also known as Buttercup and various other names but the same distinctive type. Medium sized , dark green skin, Dense orange flash, squat, squarish, superb flavour.

Bad news: You can't sow and plant until spring to harvest late Summer/early Autumn. So ages to wait unless you've been clever and frozen some. Even worse your saved seeds will not guarantee to grow the same squashes next year. They don't you see. They can grow into any of the various squash types. You'd need to buy specific seed to ensure you get Kumbocha.
          I can give you a link to an excellent seeds supplier but they'll still only breed true the first year. To keep them pure you must keep the bees out which means putting ties around each flower to stop them getting in. This is a full time job....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X