No announcement yet.

right...sweetcorn....?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of 50 planted 48 are now sat on the allotment about 4" tall. Out of 50 minipop 45 are nearly ready to go out. I dont seem to have had any issue with germination, wilko's seeds, planted straight into pots (4 per pot) in an unheated greenhouse, germination was about a week.

Comment

Last year I left them sitting in wet compost and they rotted.

This year I sowed (unsoaked) into loo rolls (not too deeply), watered well and left in a patio (shelved) cloche on a warm patio. I'm not allowed to fill our windows with seeds... You need to be patient and wait without overwatering - only water when dry, not damp. I think I've lost 1 and they all came up quickly. Last year I staggered sowing, sowing nine in April, nine in May. The ones sown in mid May quickly caught up with those sown in April (both indoors) but did give us a slightly longer period to enjoy them over so if your first attempt failed, you have plenty of time for another go.

You can also get ones pre-treated which will help prevent rotting. I wouldn't plant out yet as frost will kill them.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by onefivenine View Post
        I just sowed some yesterday in a headed propagator. I'm sure the seed packet said 15-20 degrees for germination so hopefully that's not the wrong place to sow them!
        I guess this was an ok plan... three have already germinated (aftr 3 days ) and are poking up through the compost. I can hardly believe it . I was convinced that they were doomed to rot or something!

I didn't soak them, just put them in moist compost in the heated propagator.
        Kept the lid on the whole time and it was full of condensation.
        My Blog My flickr

Comment

My babies are spending their first night outside (in the mini GH) tonight.
          Wish them luck!
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X