No announcement yet.

Should I water my onions often?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't water anything very much (seedlings and new transplants, yes) - but once in the ground & established they're on their own.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-04-2009, 06:33 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Nothing will want watering with us today, unless it's under cover, we're back to winter again, rain, gales and seagulls flying backwards.

Comment

If you START watering on a regular basis you will need to KEEP ON watering on a regular basis as their roots will be very shallow and span outward rather than downward!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't think anyone will be watering anything for a long time after today and the next week
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
            I don't think anyone will be watering anything for a long time after today and the next week
            Gloriuos sunshine here Hayley!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cheers Snadge, it aint raining yet but it's in the air if you know what I mean, forecast is foul.........
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by 00264167 View Post
                interesting...was there any difference in flavour/strength between the well watered ones and not well watered?

a farmer grew a field of them a few years ago near me and never watered them, i dont think they transpire too much.
                There wasn't any flavour difference that I noticed,but the watered ones were at least 25% bigger.
                I'm fairly new to Scotland,so I tend to follow the local professionals with regards as to what grows and what needs watering,so far they've not let me down.As I've said,my soil is light and sandy so water soon drains away and today is a gloriously warm and sunny day.

Comment

I plant 25kg of onion sets each year and the only water they receive is what falls from the sky. A bit of moisture soon after planting is good as it helps the root sytem to establish, but after that, as Snadger states, the roots will travel down in search of moisture and there shouldn't be any problems with growth, except in exceptionally long dry spells, such as last May - we had no rain for 6 weeks - this did set the onions back a bit and although they did okay, they weren't as good as the previous years crop which had quite a bit of rain immediately after planting.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine only get watered because they're in pots
                    Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

We're having a drought at the moment .. no rain for 2 weeks - the ground is like concrete.

Still not watering my onions though

* under the surface, a few inches down, it's quite moist enough. The roots will find their way down to the moisture.
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-04-2009, 08:34 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                        I plant 25kg of onion sets each year and the only water they receive is what falls from the sky. A bit of moisture soon after planting is good as it helps the root sytem to establish, but after that, as Snadger states, the roots will travel down in search of moisture and there shouldn't be any problems with growth, except in exceptionally long dry spells, such as last May - we had no rain for 6 weeks - this did set the onions back a bit and although they did okay, they weren't as good as the previous years crop which had quite a bit of rain immediately after planting.
                        just as a mater of interest what sort of spacing do you plant them at?
                        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

a bloke on our allotment doesn't do what he calls arterficial watering, he doesnt water anything not undercover
                          Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.

Comment

been chucking it down for over a week my newly taken over allotment is soaking wet, the only thing going really well so far were onions shallots and garlic and leeks the thinner shoots of them all except the shallots are going brown worried they're drowning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X