Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh is great: But what needs pollinating?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh is great: But what needs pollinating?

As you all know by now I'm a great fan of raised beds with mesh over. As the owner of two cats it avoids me having to raise veg in a cat-toilet and keeps other nasties at bay too.

However, it does as good a job of keeping out bees as it does with cats and butterflies, and I imagine with some veg no bees means no produce. So, what do I need to expose to the ravages of the outside world in order to get some fruit?
    To get the list going:

Need insects:
    • Beans: I imagine most beans need bees.
    • Marrows and squashes: I should think these need them too. (Does this include corgettes?)

Don't need insects:
    • Sweetcorn: (All the maize family?). I believe they're wind pollinated
    • Garlic and onions: Bulbs
    • Carrots and other roots: erm, roots

Can anyone expand the list? Or tell me if I have any of it wrong! Maybe there's a general rule that applies?

Cheers,
    Ian.

Know what you mean about the cat toilet thing - have had the same problem, ours seem to think that I've just dug it over specially for them to defacate (is that how you spell it?) in. However, do you need to use mesh that's so small it prevents bees etc getting in? Would have thought that the larger stuff would have been fine eg the size you can use for peas etc?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm not sure on this one - I would have thought anything with a flower needs to be pollinated by insects. I think tomatoes, chillis and peppers and the 'all female' cucumbers are self fertile. Can any of our experts help?

Comment

Instead of micro mesh why not try a mesh with bigger holes in it, that way the bees can get thru to the flowers.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Hi Ian, I too have two cats but i put Fine net over the plants for the first few weeks until they become established, then i take it off and either put a more open net on or put pieces of thorn bushes in between to keep the cats out and it usually works.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I did try some brown plastic netting laid on the ground. It was the stiff stuff with holes around about 2" square. I think it's designed for fixing to walls for climbers to go up.
            It seemed to work quite well. Maybe If I should try laying some of that down when I plant the seeds so they grow through it, then when I remove the enviromesh the brown plastic will still be down to deter the cats.

Getting back to the original question about what does or doesn't need pollinating, I was under the impression that some things should be covered up to avoid pests - e.g. brassicas and carrots, so I don't want larger mesh netting on evrything do I?

Comment

Hi Ian - I read somewhere that cats don't like citrus smells so you could try putting some orange or lemon peel down to see if that keeps them off.

Comment

Ian, believe me i have tried everything to deter my two cats and all to no avail. The only thing that keeps them off is mesh, fine net or rose prunings. It may sound cruel but they keep well away from rose clippings.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Sounds cruel, I use an electronic device that activates when they come in the garden. Bar that, I have a water gun.
                  Best wishes
                  Andrewo
                  Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Bar that, I have a water gun.
                    They're our cats - I'm afraid Mrs IanP would kick me out if she caught me shooting at them with a water blaster

Comment

There is another trick, my Dad swears by it, fill bottles full of water and leave them where they mess, supposedly the water reflects in the moonlight and scares them off.
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo
                      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

What I never understand is that lion poo you can buy to deter cats - how is your average urban moggy going to associate the smell with a big scary creature?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

They react to the amount of hormone in it I think. The only problem is if you don't want cat poo in your garden why would you want even bigger lion poo!

Comment

size of the poo I guess Alison, they take one look at the size of the dump & think "bugger this I'm off"
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X