Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
    Isn't it called moon gardening?
    *giggles* who knows.. all i know is i ain't doin' it!!!

Comment

My first batch are already planted out and the next lot will be sown today. With so many seeds in a packet it is worth the risk of planting early as they can be easily replaced.

Comment

Will be taking a chance and planting out dwarf french bean plants this weekend. Will give them a bit of fleece protection. If we get a frost now there will be an awful lot of ruined potatoes as everyone got potatoes up on the lottie. Most people on the lottie have also direct sown runner beans already.

Ian

Comment

planted mine in paper pots about 2 weeks ago in an unheated green house. i soaked them over night first along with my peas and some more broadies but there is no sign of them yet. might have a bit of a poke around in the pot later to see if anything's happening.

Comment

Checked the temperature when I got up.
            1.5 degrees and cars with nice frost pattern on the roofs.Plant whatever you want,I'll wait at least another week.
            Last edited by coreopsis; 22-04-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Oo-er - I sowed mine weeks ago, and have just planted them out, under a plastic-sheeting cloche, with the ends up during the day. Should I have waited? They're about 6" tall.
              Last edited by StephenH; 22-04-2009, 08:55 AM.
              Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Depends when your last frost date is Stephen, mine isn't til mid-May-ish.
                I really wanted to know how long they take to get to planting out size, I guess I'll have to time them myself and write it down for next year

Comment

I've sown some of my heritage ones that seem to need a long season - especially if I'm harvesting them for dried beans. I'm happy to take them in and out of the greenhouse and back to the dining room every day for a few weeks. Most of them aren't yet sown though.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've tried early direct planting in previous years but if it turns wet and cold they don't germinate, just rot. Waiting for those in GH to show themselves and finding it difficult to resist having a little poke around! The only time I sow direct is when want to keep the supply going and put more in July/Aug - or to replace those the rotten slugger buggers have eaten.

Comment

We sowed our French and Runner beans in a heated propagator on April 5.
                      They were big enough to be moved into the unheated greenhouse to harden off on April 13.
                      They were transplanted into the veg beds on April 19 (a month earlier than last year) but they are doing well.

Photos and stuff on our site if you want a look.

M&L
                      Last edited by Mike and Louise; 22-04-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Sowed my climbing ones on 4 May last year in root trainers in a cold greenhouse. According to my records they were all through by 11 May and romping away. Planted out about 3 weeks after sowing and had a good crop through to the frosts despite a rubbish summer. Will be following a similar plan this year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike and Louise View Post
                          We sowed our French and Runner beans in a heated propagator on April 5.
                          They were big enough to be moved into the unheated greenhouse to harden off on April 13.
                          They were transplanted into the veg beds on April 19 (a month earlier than last year) but they are doing well.

Photos and stuff on our site if you want a look.

M&L
                          Daren't do that here - we can get hard frosts until mid-May.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I sowed my outside yesterday, that way they can come up when they want, but then we are only going down to 5-8 degrees overnight here so its not that risky.
                            I can't remember the last time we had rain let alone a frost!
                            My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

I planted out 8 climbing french beans today 'Blauhilde' which germinated indoors on 12 April. It's the first time I've used them and couldn't believe how quickly they grew - they're like triffids!
                              Hopefully we won't get any sharp frosts now, but I will be planting more indoors - just in case - and also sowing direct outside in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I've grown 'Blauhilde' for the last two years, great beans, the fact that they're purple but go green on cooking fascinates people, good flavour and never get tough. Mine are just showing after 11days in cold GH. The only problem I had was in salt laden gales last year, burnt the first lot to bits, same with the runners, but that's cos we live close to the sea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X