No announcement yet.

Chillis, am I too late?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow those chillies look so cool- i really want some now lol - too late now though but i definatly want to grow some when it's time to sow those particular varieties (I don't want to wait that long )

Think i will have to get a mini greenhouse if i want to grow anymore chilli plants though- OH has enough trouble trying not to knock my current chilli plant on the living room floor

ps- you will have to let us know how it goes with your damaged chilli plant- hope you manage to rescue it.
    Last edited by Mchanen; 22-04-2009, 04:33 PM.
    My Album, Progress so Far: -
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      We always cover ours vermiculite. I've just last night sown some mustard habs, but as its late I first of all germinated them on damp kitchen paper in the heated prop. Then I put them onto compost in small modules (in the prop) and just covered them with vermiculite to keep them from drying out.
      Put some on moist kitchen paper in the airing cupboard last night in a placcy propogator. Fingers crossed

Comment

Hey Compost, you'll have to let me know how it goes, i didn't even know you could grow seeds just on kitchen paper- i'm learning something new already

Comment

You don't really grow them on the kitchen paper, just start them off. As soon as they germinate they will need to be put in soil so as they have some feed. I know loads of people on here get on really well with pre-germinating but it doesn't work well for me. I always end up letting them dry out and so it's it's a waste of time. I find that the best way for me (we all have our best ways!) is to sow in 1/5"ish newspaper pots with the seed a few mm below the soil surface (just normal multi purpose compost) in a heated propogator. As soon as they germinate I take them out onto a window ledge, covering with an unheated propogator at night if it gets cold. All mine came through within a few days, probably about a week on average.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I usually do just stick the seeds in a shallow tub/propagator with compost and works for me most of the time so i'll probably just stick to doing it that way myself, always good to know other ways to germinate them though i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              We always cover ours vermiculite. I've just last night sown some mustard habs, but as its late I first of all germinated them on damp kitchen paper in the heated prop. Then I put them onto compost in small modules (in the prop) and just covered them with vermiculite to keep them from drying out.
              Thanks for this, put some fresno and hot tepin in moist kitchen paper in a propogator along with some sweet pepper Torro rosso and sweet banana on Tuesday night and transferred shooting seeds from all except the hot tepin today. Giving the Tepin another few days as I have heard they are difficult to germinate.

Comment

Yippee

I have a chilli seed up, second time of asking my first sowing failed miserably. 1 out of 12 is not so bad is it!!!
                Jo

Comment

chili time!

I would agree with crichmond - go for it, but push the little blighters as far as you can before letting them go their own way. I would also grow as many seedlings as possible (ideally split into at least two separate batches) for safety - since if you have a disaster you definitely won't have time to resow. You can always give the spares to friends/family (but I bet you won't!).

L

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X