Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic

When is autumn planted garlic ready to harvest?

Put a couple of spare cloves in a pot on my window sill and these have really sprouted, would this be ready sooner than that I have planted outside?

Thanks
    Bex

Im no expert bex but we put outs in last month and I was told it was a little early, however after weeks of nothing they have all now sprouted so I am hoping for brilliant results specially as this wasa trial from a supermarket bought bulb! In terms of harvesting im sure they wont be ready before june/july next year but i could well be wrong.

Comment

I've got some that need to go in now, and the info says they'll be ready around June time.

Comment

Great, thanks
        Bex

Comment

I'll go with June too. Now is a good time to plant outside and indeed any time up till December really.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi Bex,
            Are you planning to keep the garlic on your windowsill or plant it outside? Garlic needs a good frost on it to produce decent sized bulbs the following year.
            I planted my garlic out at the weekend. I thought I'd try a different garlic this year, as most of what I planted last year rotted off in the cold damp spring we had. So I got hold of some of that Porcelain Garlic from the Really Garlicky Company as they grow their garlic up here in the Highlands. I cracked it open to plant the cloves and was amazed at the size of them, one bulb had only four cloves in it!! Beautiful for roasting, and smell really gorgeous, almost pesto-like. Looking forward to the result! Good luck with yours.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Hi Birdie

I've done both, the decent sized cloves I've planted outside but the really skinny ones from the middle of the bulb I've planted in a pot and its on the window sill. I just got a standard sort from the garden centre but if these work out well I will invest in some better ones. This is my first year so just experimenting at the moment. Yours sound lovely by the way - hope it goes well for you.
              Bex

Comment

I've got Albigensian Wight. does anyone have any experience of this variety?

Comment

I can remember seeing on T>V once that you could put garlic bulbs in the fridge for a couple of days and plant in the spring,might give that a try as well as the normal planting in autum what you think?

Comment

Might try that as well, I love garlic and having the one planting of it just doesn't seem enough
                    Bex

Comment

surpose bex on how much you use garlic i normaly plant 3 large bulbs and still find its not enough but now i got the lottie and can grow even more,and you better start hitting them books good luck for later

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X