French Bean Support

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Bean Support

Hey there peeps.. I have some spare trellis and was wondering if I could use it to support my French Beans?

Its my first time growing these and was wondering what would be the best option? Should I stick with a Cane Wigwam?

This is my bed below… I was thinking of attaching the trellis to the back fence and training them up.. ?

Ta

Attached Files

I don't see a problem with your plan, looks like you have plenty of space to grow veg in front of them too. What are you planning to grow there?
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Are you putting your french beans out now? I have some in pots that have just come thru and was told its too early to put them out yet.

Comment

True Baggyman, they aren't frost tollerant at all. I'm growing mine in pots in a minigreenhouse against a very protected south facing wall until all frosts have passed.

Comment

Rest assured my friends...

The Beans are safe and warm on my Bay window till its time...

I am just getting the bed all ready...

I am planning to plant Carrots and i have some Courgettes on the go also indoors not sure what else to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
            looks like you have plenty of space to grow veg in front of them too.
            That's what a i was thinking.. the beans almost like a back drop and utilise the space in front...
            Last edited by zazen999; 17-04-2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

They are climbing beans I assume?
              They will go up the trellis beautifully and still leave plenty of space in front
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I have a few similar planters and I put lettuce into them now. Then something is actually growing and will be useable soon, as compared to all the beans and courgettes that take a long time before there is produce. I also plan on putting in a row of mini-corn in the back of one for my beans to climb up.

Comment

If they are climbers such as cobra then they will climb up anything at all if they are just normal french beans then they shouldn't need to be supported at all.

Comment

I planted broad beans along trellis (next to my runner beans) last year and they grew up it perfectly. I shall be doing the same again this year.
                    Last edited by Noodles; 20-04-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Great news! Thanks all...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                      • greenishfing
                        Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                        by greenishfing
                        Today, 09:42 AM
                      • Vince G
                        Ginger
                        by Vince G
                        Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not...
                        Today, 09:28 AM
                      • bramble
                        Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                        by bramble
                        Today, 09:25 AM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X