Spuds - Silly Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spuds - Silly Question

I'm assuming that the 4 categories (1st early etc) for spuds is something to do with planting/harvesting times. If so, what are these timings and should I choose a spud from each category to ensure a continuous crop.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Bex

Hi Bex,

Yes spot on. earlies take about 10 - 12 weeks to maure & maincrop about 12 -14 weeks on average. Some ( like Rocket) are extra early & can be planted a bit before the others if you want.

I tend to grow some early in the greenhouse in tubs then move on to the 1st earlies etc finishing up (hopefully) with the spuds planted now in the grrenhouse for Christmas.

As to planting I tend to put mine in around April/May some of the guys on our plot plant there;s earlier & then worry about the frosts !

Hope this helps
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick, I think I'm going to get one variety from each category if you see what I mean.

I was thinking of:
      1st early - Foremost
      2nd early - Maris Peer
      Early main - International Kidney
      Maincrop - Golden wonder.

But as I've never grown then before any recommendations would be welcome
      Bex

Comment

Hi Bex,

Maris Peer & International kidney are normally grown as imature earlies ( bit like me ) IK is synonamous with Jersey Royals.

Never grown Golden Wonder but they are suposed to make good chips ( hardly suprising as they were designed for the crisp market !).

I know loads of Folks who swear by foremost & it's a toss up as to whether I grow them or Aran Pilot this coming year along with Rocket.

I tend to grow a 2 x earlies, 1 x 2nd early, 1 x salad & 2 x maincrop varieties
        ntg

Comment

Your best bet is to have a word with the folks at your lotty site & see what grows well on the soil there as some varieties prefer different soil types.
          ntg

Comment

Thanks Nick,

It is certainly giving me something to think about but plenty of time.
            Bex

Comment

Know what you mean Bex! I was digging over one plot this pm and adding the pony poo and thought - this is what I was doing at Easter this year! Nowt like good, early planning methinks! DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello Bex, for early potatoes I like Charlotte. They can be planted in succession to stagger the crop. I think they're great for summer potatoes. Pink Fir Apple are the best of all salad potatoes but not great croppers. It's definately quality over quantity there. Red Rooster make the best of all roasting potatoes but I don't rate them boiled. Maris Peer look great but I don't think the flavour is special (not a patch on Charlotte). Golden Wonder - well I never grow them. I don't like the flavour. Maybe they make great chips but I don't like chips. It's all horses for courses. Ask the people on your lottie site what does well for them, try it, and decide what's good for you. Keep notes about what you grow and what you liked. Have confidence in your own judgement. It's you and yours who will be eating it. Happy gardening.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X