No announcement yet.

Ideas for 'pretty' vegetables that would grow in a balcony box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooohhhh, just found out that I can buy it in plug form (yes, I really am a novice) so might order a few from ebay

Comment

Don't buy it in plug form, it's dead easy to grow from seed.
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

you might also want to consider borage, particularly if you grow some strawberries in pots.. borage is a) a companion plant to strawberries and b) the pretty blue flowers taste lovely in a salad, or in a drink, kind of cucumbery. This link will tell you more about it...

keth
        xx

Comment

Borage grows huge!

Seriously, don't buy chard as plug plants. They are the easiest plant in the world to grow from seed. Promise.
          Last edited by Demeter; 13-04-2009, 10:17 PM.
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
            Borage grows huge!
            it does? the packet i have says it grows to 30cm tall...?

Comment

Lollo rosso lettuces or other frilly types?
              Chives are pretty too when left to flower.

Comment

Originally posted by kethry View Post
                it does? the packet i have says it grows to 30cm tall...?
                My borage last year grew to between 2 and 3 feet on average, some taller. (And that was in a shady area.) I'm not sure whether there is a dwarf variety, which you might have - don't think so? - but as far as I know mine was the standard one.

Google says
                how tall does borage grow - Google Search
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                  My borage last year grew to between 2 and 3 feet on average, some taller. (And that was in a shady area.) I'm not sure whether there is a dwarf variety, which you might have - don't think so? - but as far as I know mine was the standard one.
                  i dunno where i got the 30cm from. i've just looked at the packet again (to see if it was a dwarf) and it says up to 3ft. durhhh. hmm. I'm going to have to rethink where i put this when i sow it then...

thanks!!

Comment

I've got a few Tomato seedlings that are ideal for hanging baskets, they are red cherry toms I think Garden Pearl, they'll look really pretty when they're ripening.
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X