Shall I shallot or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I shallot or not?

The remains of my shallot harvest (about 3Kg) have just been retrieved from the pathway I threw them on when I dug them up in disgust. I went to get them because I read in GYO you can save them and re-plant them in spring.

The problem is, with the moist whether we have bean having they have started to put out new roots, quite a few in fact!

Should I re-plant them now, or let their roots dry out and plant in Spring?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Difficult Snadger, I would say first off re-plant but the trouble is if they have started to grow & then you stop them you may have a lot bolt (run to seed) as they will have received a check.

I lifted mine in june/july time & they have been sitting in the greenhouse in a seed tray full of perlite waiting to be planted in about December I start mine in pots in the cold greenhouse & then plant out later.

For the sake of a couple of quid I'd buy some new one's that haven't recieved a check.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Snager. Old dockers used to plant there shallots on the shortest day & lift on the longest. P.J

Comment

& young Griefs PJ
        ntg

Comment

What are the best shallots for autumn planting? I would like something that multiplies well, not so interested in size/exhibition looks. And where is best/cheapest to buy them?

I've read lots of conflicting advice. Whats the grape concensus?

Comment

I grow Hative d Niort which is the classic exhibition shallot. They are quite expensive to buy but they are really good pickled There is a guy who advertises in Garden News that sels them for £9 for 25 !! if you are not into showing they can be a bit pricey. not sure what the other are like as I've never grown them.

I was given 10 for a start by someone & I think that went up to about 40 planted out in year 2 so they multiple up OK.
            ntg

Comment

I heard that Hative de Niort were the best, the classic exhibition one but multiplying to four doesn't sound great, I've read that others can give 6 quite easily?

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Hood View Post
                Snager. Old dockers used to plant there shallots on the shortest day & lift on the longest. P.J
                The shortest day is in about a fortnight isn't it? If so, I might as well pop them in and hope for the best!
                All I want is small shallots so I can make the classic Greek dish (who's name I have forgot! Doh!) which I had on holliday! Beef, in a tomato sauce with boiled shallots!
                Yum,...... I can taste it now,......... and see the blue sky....and feel the warm water.......Blisssssssss
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hi snadger that dish was stifado buitiful it is to

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                    hi snadger that dish was stifado buitiful it is to
                    Ah! Stifado, (pronounced Stiffatho), classic greek dish that I just happen to have a recipe for! (Got from Spiros from the Efftikae Restaurant in Sidari, Corfu about 20 years ago!) Shout out if you want me to post it!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

So, if not Hative de Niort for autumn sowing then what...?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        The shortest day is in about a fortnight isn't it? If so, I might as well pop them in and hope for the best!
                        That would be nice Snadger but unfortunately it's not until December 21 (the Winter Solstice). If it were in a fortnight we'd be having a very early spring.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Was about to point out about the shortest day Earthbabe but was too polite to do so. Glad you did it though else we would all be planting out shallots too early.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I just had nice thoughts about having an early spring and summer but need to go through the dark end of the year first. I much prefer proper seasons or at least ones where the temperature varies a bit ie winter is colder than summer sort of thing.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                              Ah! Stifado, (pronounced Stiffatho), classic greek dish that I just happen to have a recipe for! (Got from Spiros from the Efftikae Restaurant in Sidari, Corfu about 20 years ago!) Shout out if you want me to post it!

Post it Post it - I looooove Stifado
                              Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X