Really Stupid Question, Sorry...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Stupid Question, Sorry...

I'm really sorry about this but I've received some seeds and on the pack it just shows the year split into seasons and the seasons split into three for the months and the sowing information is just a line in whatever month. What month is the first month of winter (cringes with embarrassment) in my head it is December.
    Bex

Don't know why you are cringin' with embarrassment Bex - got me stumped too , but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say December as well. What seeds are we talking about here ?
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I ordered some from the Italian Seed Company, Romaine Lettuce and various peppers. If I can peg when winter starts I can work out when to sow.

I just felt it was a really basic question but maybe it wasn't so daft afterall.

Thanks for your help
      Bex

Comment

I'm with Rat on this and will go for December as the first month of winter at September is first month of autumn and March first month of spring. Hey that just leaves June as first month of summer and it works!

I've got some seed that was brought back from Italy for me and I've had the same problem in the past. It does get a bit confusing when trying to think on the spot and being used to the nice clear month thing on english packets.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks Earthbabe, December it is. My lettuce can be sown in December and my mouth is watering already, I love Romaine lettuce.
          Bex

Comment

Italian seed is great for our winter because the winter in northern italy is similar to ours (or so I am told) so you should have lots of luscious lettuce to see you through.

I love Romaine too. Would you like some mixed chicory (endive) seed to go with it?
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Mmm, yes please Earthbabe
              Bex

Comment

Winter begins on December 21st.

Comment

Wow, thanks Palustris thats very precise.
                  Bex

Comment

Winter starts officially on the Winter Solstice, or Yule, which is usually the 21st Dec, but can be a day later, depending on the position of the sun!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                      Italian seed is great for our winter because the winter in northern italy is similar to ours (or so I am told) so you should have lots of luscious lettuce to see you through.

I love Romaine too. Would you like some mixed chicory (endive) seed to go with it?
                      On the other hand if the seed is from the always mild, south of Italy, where San Marzano is, in Puglia for example.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X