Calling Edinburgh gardeners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Edinburgh gardeners

Hi all - I am trying to cut down on the amount of waste in the bin. I don't have a garden so was wondering whether if I got a kitchen composter there might be someone in Edinburgh who could use the compost?

You'd have to tell me what not to put in it (no dairy, meat, fish - what else?) and ideally I'd just be able to come and empty it when it was full in a designated place in your garden or allotment.

If not, does anyone have any advice about where to put food waste if I don't want to add it to landfill? Does the council run anything like this?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Alicea View Post
    If not, does anyone have any advice about where to put food waste if I don't want to add it to landfill? Does the council run anything like this?
    I just looked up Edinburgh Council's recycling pages, and they don't collect kitchen waste, just garden waste.

This is what you could do:

1) don't cook more than you will eat
    2) feed kitchen scraps to guinea pigs or hens (this is a bit radical, not everyone can do this, and you still have to dispose of their bedding and manure)
    3) get a wormery
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

All good points, and I try hard not to cook or indeed buy too much. However, the lack of garden remains a problem at the moment and means that guinea pigs, hens and wormeries are still not an option!

Comment

Do you know where your local allotments are? Have you got any neighbours with gardens neaby you could ask? If you can see into anyones garden and they're growing veg, ask them.
        And no fat.

You could also ask on your freecycle cafe, or ask the mods if you can offer kitchen waste on there. The bloke who runs the Edinburgh one is called Edward, he might have some more ideas.( byt he way, if you need to tell him who told you this, it's nic from swindon)
        Last edited by taff; 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Hey Alicea! This site has a list of Edinburgh allotments, any near you? Could see if anyone there would like extra stuff for their compost.

Allotment Sites | The Federation of Edinburgh and District Allotments and Gardens Associations
          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X