Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
    How long can you harvest them for?
    Traditionally it's mid summers day which is the last pick for mature plants.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Traditionally it's mid summers day which is the last pick for mature plants.
      Thanks Nicos, that's June isn't it?
      AKA Angie

Comment

I just planted our first delivery of 1yo crowns, some had teeny white spears already showing.

Should I earth them up as they grow, like potatoes ? If so, when do I stop earthing up and let them into the light ?

Sounds like I should expect to lose a few crowns before getting to harvest, when that happens, do people put a new one in the gap ?
        Thanks.

added: not sure about inserting new crowns into gaps incase of disturbing existing root systems, but if left with lots of bare soil may lead to more weeds...

added: what is the best mulch to use on asparagus to deter weeds and to help retain moisture in light soil ?
        Last edited by Alison Adams; 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM. Reason: added the bit after 'Thanks'
        odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
        http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

I moved some crowns which were randomly scattered all over the plot when we moved in to a dedicated asparagus bed. This'll be their second cropping season in their new bed and there's 3 spears through... 1 giant one, a skinny and a tiddler.
          Hoping to cut some this year.....

Comment

I am so jealous. Planted mine back in October/November last year and nothing is showing yet. When I planted them they had small white spears forming, so was half exppected them to not take long at all. Will take all my might to not have a little poke around tomorrow to if they are just below the surface.
            BW
            James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

After my initial excitement, only one has come through so far. Not sure if transplanting them may have wrecked the others
              AKA Angie

Comment

Planted some asparagus out and they had some growing shoots. The shoots have now died , but have kept watering the roots and not earthed them up yet, nothing else is coming up so far. Is there any hope or should I go out and buy some more? This is 3/4 weeks ago if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison Adams View Post
                  I just planted our first delivery of 1yo crowns, some had teeny white spears already showing.

Should I earth them up as they grow, like potatoes ? If so, when do I stop earthing up and let them into the light ?

Sounds like I should expect to lose a few crowns before getting to harvest, when that happens, do people put a new one in the gap ?
                  Thanks.

added: not sure about inserting new crowns into gaps incase of disturbing existing root systems, but if left with lots of bare soil may lead to more weeds...

added: what is the best mulch to use on asparagus to deter weeds and to help retain moisture in light soil ?
                  Two inches of soil initially and a further two when ferns are a foot tall. and a good 3 or 4" of mulch (rotted straw and horse muck and seaweed the best mulches) in November at clearing. ie not like spuds...you earth up around the sprouted ferns not bury them again.

If you've prepared a good weed free bed and mot let them dry out then You shouldn't really lose any quality crowns in a light soil?!! Although you may want to replace any females later. if they are 12- 15" apart shouldn't cause too much damage to adjacent plants.
                  Last edited by Paulottie; 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks Paulottie, I have read a few posts where people have described losing a few crowns but not sure of their particular circumstances - mine are in a new weed free bed, well spaced so fingers crossed. They may have been a little bit drier than I would have liked as they arrived while I was away so were in plastic bag in the box for 2 days, I'll have to wait and see on that. Also, we are exposed to side winds, so I need to get some windbreak fabric up before the ferns are grown. In the meantime, 6 tips have emerged so far, I feel like a new parent !
                    odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
                    http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

I'm so jealous that so many of you have asparagus appearing already! I planted nine one year-old crowns last spring, which were all succesful. I am eagerly waiting for the first of this year's shoots to appear as I've read I can take a very small harvest from them this year. I hope they have survived okay........

Comment

Feel really jealous of you all. Ours aren't poking through at all - boo hoo. Perhaps they'll be showing when I go to the allotment in a few days as the nice weather may have brought them on.

Comment

I've got about 10 spears ready to cut some of them are gurt big thick 'uns

Comment

Well done Coober. Still only got the one poking up and it looks a bit thin! Hope I haven't killed the other crowns off by moving
                            AKA Angie

Comment

Yippee! My first spear is poking through!

Comment

***Stupid question alert***
                                Do they look like small asparagus spears when they are the first ones to grow out of 1yr crown, or do they look like something else? Has anyone got a picture they want to shar, and possibly brag a little about?
                                BW
                                James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X