I keep breaking tools!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep breaking tools!!

This weekend I broke a spade - tubular shaft just folded - it seemed a little cheap. Then I snapped a stainless steel fork right at the base of the shaft where it meets the 'fork' I also keep bending stainless steel fork tynes.

What do we think are the strongest types? Is wood any good? Should I go for carbon steel over fancy looking stainless steel?

Howsabout these worryingly lightweight but very expensive tools - do they last?

How much should I be paying - prices vary dramatically!

Time I got some decent bits of kit!

J
    Last edited by JimmerG; 30-03-2009, 12:12 PM.

You can get some tools that have lifetime guarentees - well worth the extra money - I tend to go through them too!

Wooden handles can be replaced quite easily, I find wood last just as long as metal

Comment

Your tools shouldn't be breaking that easily - can you return them to the store and get a refund? I've just had a fork replaced when one of the tines bent on it's first outing.

Stainless steel should be better than carbon steel, although I suspect stainless steel is a little more brittle.

Comment

I've only been gardening for two years but already concluded that whilst sometimes cheap can be o.k. it's better to pay for quality. The best fork I now have was cheap - bought at a boot fair but it's about 20 years old and good for another 20. Others have challenged the budget but worth it. (IMHO).
        History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I think when buying tools the term "Buy cheap Buy twice! fits I use a stainless steel with plastic base/handle, Yet still have wooden tools some over 30years old :P Stuff just isnt made like it used to be its just made lighter and more breakable.
          Not sure well i am i wouldnt spend anything like harrodhorticultural seem to charge for tools
          Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Is you're true identity Uri Geller by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
              Is you're true identity Uri Geller by any chance?
              Uri Geller on steroids - that's me!

Couldn't believe it... these broke literally within minutes of each other! I was in a bit of a hurry - daughters aged 2 and 4 were beginning to run low on patience! And the soil here is very heavy - these two factors coupled with my apparent hurculean strength resulted in my tools turning into balsa wood!

UG

Comment

I sympathise. I get mine second hand from car boot sales and our local tip which also sells salvages items. It seems the older the spade / tool the stronger it is! Al.l the shiny new ones I have purchased have broken in the first season

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
                  Uri Geller on steroids - that's me!

Couldn't believe it... these broke literally within minutes of each other! I was in a bit of a hurry - daughters aged 2 and 4 were beginning to run low on patience! And the soil here is very heavy - these two factors coupled with my apparent hurculean strength resulted in my tools turning into balsa wood!

UG
                  Heehee! See, you've even changed your signature!!

Like everyone else, I find old tools are the strongest, but we've bent prongs on really good quality forks digging our new garden (clay/chalk) and our builder managed to snap the handle of my ancient but much loved rake the other day. I do get fed up with hand tools that bend in half at the first whiff of a stone as well.

Comment

I bought a fork from a place called 'Grandad's Atic' in Masham, North Yorks, about 10 years ago. It's all steel construction and has a 'utility' mark on, which means it was made in the 1940's. With enough leverage, it'll uproot trees!
                    http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Spear and Jackson-I've got their fork,it has 10 yrs guarantee

Comment

Buy an azada or a mattock, you don't get cheap ones but you also don't get breakable ones !
                        If you have stoney or heavy soil, they are what you need anyway. You will save a third of the energy you would use digging with a spade. I kid you not. There's a reason Third World peasants don't often use spades...
                        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

So far I've bent two forks, and snapped the wooden handles on my rake and my spade and it's still only March.

Comment

I tend to go for Wilkinson Sword as I've never managed to break or bend any WS tools yet. My trusty WS fork* has dug its way through plenty of heavy clay soil with ease. Only been gardening seriously since last year so I hadn't given it much of a test before last March but it doesn't look like breaking any time soon and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them! I would not buy a wooden tool as I wouldn't trust it not to snap. I would not buy cheap hand tools for anything as they are a waste of money - OK for digging in loose compost but bend or break as soon as you show them a bit of real soil!

* this one - Wilkinson Sword Power Digging Fork 601572W
                            Last edited by Demeter; 30-03-2009, 07:12 PM.
                            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

That's interesting - last year I bought a WS fork - the funny shape one with the centre tread that's meant to be more ergonomic. using it this year one of the tines bent ans then snapped off when I tried to straighten it. I went out and bought another one and as per my previous post, went and bent another tine on first use.

So, I wonder. I would have thought to be fit for purpose a fork should be able to handle most allotment digging tasks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X