No announcement yet.

Selling surplus plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends where you live whether it would be a good idea or not! In the little village Dad lives in, there's a lady who has been selling plants from her gate for donkey's years, cuttings and perennial divisions and excess seedlings. She donates the money to various charities and has only once had her honesty box stolen.
    However, I wouldn't dare do it here in a much bigger village, even though the police station is just at the end of the road. We are the main thoroughfare for groups of teenagers heading for the park, schoolkids on their way home etc, and I've had trays of plants chucked round the garden before, plus the roof of the car jumpend on....

So, if you live in a peaceful area with a bit of passing trade, give it a go, if not, try printing a list and handing it to work colleagues, or the school mums

Comment

I sell eggs from an honesty box at the allotment and sometimes they don't even make it to there as there are folks waiting for me coming out of the coop with an eggbox in my hand.
      Until last Saturday I was our allotment Association Secretary. I heard through the grapevine that some plotholders had ben berating me for doing this (not to my face though) This was one of the reasons I didn't stand for re-election.

I have had a word with the present committee (quite a few of which buy my eggs) and they are fine with it. The main advantage in having an honesty box is that plotholders will know at all times whether there are eggs for sale, and it saves them looking for me and asking!

On the general question of selling stuff from an allotment, my views are that if it is surplus to requirements and hasn't specifically been grown for sale (quite hard to police I would guess?) then there should be no problem.

As with everything else, common sense dictates!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X