Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsnips

Hi,

As a newbie last year (not knowing what I was doing) I started my 'snips off in a heated propagator, had good germination rate then dug a deep hole in the bed and laid the tap root out straight into the ground.

Had some massive long parsnips from that experiment used Gladiator variety, was pleasantly surprised, everyone said you cannot transplant parsnips

Main learning I took was if your going to transplant a root vegetable create a deep straight hole with a stick/dibber straighten the tap root when putting into the ground..

Dave
    Just an Office Guy trying to grow own food

http://www.allotment13.blogspot.com/

Comment

I germinated on damp kitchen paper then used loo roll tubes last year, this year I have just sown direct in the ground... keeping fingers crossed.
      pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

we sowed direct in the ground last year and all was fine....not growing this year as need space for other things

Comment

Tried the peat pot experiment last year & was a complete waste of time - small, deformed roots & the pots hadn't rotted away either. Have grown 'snips for two years now & recommend Gladiator aswell - monster roots, very tasty, & stand well in the ground through the harshest of frosts. They are a long time in the ground but I think its well worth it!!

Comment

I dont have a direct answer, but last year, sowed my parsnips into the bed. when they started to grow i realised id been very heavy handed and needed to get some out. I transplanted and they were ok, but i think the compost was too soft and they went rounded and lots of forked roots. The ones that went into clay were beautiful and straight!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X