No announcement yet.

Potting on leggy seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Flum Dunno what I would do without you!
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Thank god, I'm doing the aubs and chillies today and they are a bit leggy
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        Thank you Flum Dunno what I would do without you!
        You'd probably find out the hard way like I did!
        Actually - I'm never convinced that what you do is all that critical. Plants want to grow. It's better if we give them optimum conditions but they still do reasonably well given that there are at least a dozen different ways of doing things and everyone has his/her own way.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Newbee help required:
          I have Aquadulce broad beans that have been started in loo rolls & have got very leggy. Is it ok to plant them out - if so - how deep ? will they need any special planting / care? Will they continue to grow & produce as normal?
          Gill

Comment

Right I've been and gone and done it! One chilli, one aubergine and one pepper up to their necks in soil Will let you know what happens!
            AKA Angie

Comment

Best thing is not to let anything get too leggy in t'first place.

Don't sow too early, not too warm, and give them enough light.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by girl47 View Post
                Newbee help required:
                I have Aquadulce broad beans that have been started in loo rolls & have got very leggy. Is it ok to plant them out - if so - how deep ? will they need any special planting / care? Will they continue to grow & produce as normal?
                Gill
                I would plant them normal depth and stake them - non-dwarf broad beans grow quite tall anyway. They will grow and crop, but probably not as heavily if the stems are weak. I'd get them outdoors and growing in this sunshine PDQ!

Comment

oh i am trying planting up to the seed leaves this year, i was given some root trainers which are really deep plug trays really and it says on the distructions that you should sink everything up to the seed leaves when potting on!! i have tried it and everything seems as normal so far........

Comment

Originally posted by evie451 View Post
                    oh i am trying planting up to the seed leaves this year, i was given some root trainers which are really deep plug trays really and it says on the distructions that you should sink everything up to the seed leaves when potting on!! i have tried it and everything seems as normal so far........
                    That's interesting, let me know how it goes
                    AKA Angie

Comment

I always plant brassicas up to the first leaves both when pricking out and when planting out as it makes far stronger and better plants. And I need strong plants to cope with the club root.

Ian

Comment

Yup, plant so the seed leaves are just above the surface. It only gets tricky when you plant something that doesn't have seed leaves above ground (they stay underground, like broad beans) :-)
                        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
                          Yup, plant so the seed leaves are just above the surface. It only gets tricky when you plant something that doesn't have seed leaves above ground (they stay underground, like broad beans) :-)
                          Didn't know that either! What else has seed leaves underground?
                          AKA Angie

Comment

can i do the same for other plants?

hello there, really new to gardening here.

I was just wondering if u can do the same thing (planting up to the first true leaves) for other plants like pak choi and mizuna. What happened was I was growing them indoors, near massive windows, but i tink they were too near the radiators. I've since put them in a cold frame outside, and they've developed two or more true leaves (its so amazing!) and i'm just wondering how to plant them out.

Thanks so much for replying. I would really appreciate it =)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X