No announcement yet.

Baby beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once cooked should peel by just rubbing your fingers over them. You do end up with red hands though. Lovely fresh in salads, or roasted along with butternut squash etc just pop into roast dish with any other veg mmmmmmmmmm
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

Might be a daft question but is it too early to sow beetroot outside under a cloche?
      Not grown any before but I love beetroot.

Comment

All sounds scrummy you have convinced me!
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Now should be OK under cover - I sowed mine in modules on 29th March last year (just looked it up in my notes!), then planted them out on the lottie about six weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyren View Post
            Now should be OK under cover - I sowed mine in modules on 29th March last year (just looked it up in my notes!), then planted them out on the lottie about six weeks later.
            Do you transplant the whole thing? I hear beetroot doesn't transplant very well.

Comment

Cheese and beetroot sandwiches! Yummy!

Can't wait to plant my beetroot. If you cook them in the oven how long do you do them for and at what temp? I've only ever heard of boiling them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Crundy View Post
                Do you transplant the whole thing? I hear beetroot doesn't transplant very well.
                Yep - just scooped the module out and popped the whole lot in a little hole in the ground. I also put a ring of plastic (about a 2" horizontal slice out of a 2l coke bottle) around each plant to keep the slugs off.

Comment

Thanks Eyren. I will get some in sown this week.

Comment

beetroot roasted with balsamic vinegar is gorgeous, and i make beetroot cake regularly which never lasts long, infact made 2 this weekend and 1 gone already and OH took other 1 to work
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

This is the first time I have planted beetroot - convinced by the free seeds I thought when the cluster sprouted, you thinned to one seedling. Eyren, you say you just plant the whole lot. Which do you recommend I do?
                      You know you're a hard nosed gardener when you pull the weeds from others plots!

Comment

Don't forget borscht, yummy.

I sow in modules and thin to the strongest seedling, then plant that out when established.
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

...and for those of you who haven't eaten beetroot before just be aware that you will have a reddish tinge when you pass water. Don't be like my aunt who lay awake all night with her legs tightly squeezed together because she thought she was haemorraging!

Comment

Is it best to thin the seedlings as soon as possible?

Comment

I agree with all above, though I peel mine before cooking. Either wear Marigolds or use kitchen towel to hold them with.

Cut into chunks and roast with cumin and garlic. Makes great soup with horseradish and a bit of creme fraiche. Grate it and make a coleslaw type salad or toss hot cubes in a vinaigrette and allow to cool to eat like potato salad.

Comment

This sounds absolutely delicious! Will definitely try it this year when my beetroots have (hopefully!) grown!

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                                My beetroot salad is lovely.

Boil beets until you can stick a knife through - cool and deskin.

Chop. Add cumin and mayo. Mix & serve

Especially nice with felafel, rice and halloumi.
                                http://ecoprincess.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X