No announcement yet.

Main Crop Just Arrived in post!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up some Isle of Jura at the garden centre this morning, main crop, and they have already started to sprout, so reading this thread has relieved me a little, I thought I'd have to try and slow them down by sitting them in the dark! And now I know better!
    My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Jardín View Post
      I picked up some Isle of Jura at the garden centre this morning, main crop, and they have already started to sprout, so reading this thread has relieved me a little, I thought I'd have to try and slow them down by sitting them in the dark! And now I know better!
      yes this Vine is truly amazing!
      Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
      Independent Minds

Comment

Epicure is a truly Scottish potato grown under hardy conditions to provide a large and tasty crop of fast growing spuds. They have sold really well this year. The old varieties are making a come back as they taste so much better than the new processer friendly spuds that look great and taste like soap. I think you will enjoy them. Once you harvest them just wash them and put them straight into a pan of water to enjoy them at their best and eat with the skins on. I am hungry now.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

Getting back to the main point.................how can you lot have never heard of Yoda??!!
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
            Epicure is a truly Scottish potato grown under hardy conditions to provide a large and tasty crop of fast growing spuds. They have sold really well this year. The old varieties are making a come back as they taste so much better than the new processer friendly spuds that look great and taste like soap.
            Bit off topic but what varieties would you recommemd for flavour for maincrop potatoes?
            I'm got maris piper and desiree chitting, but wouldn't mind trying some different ones.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
              Getting back to the main point.................how can you lot have never heard of Yoda??!!
              i'd never heard of chitting until I came on here!
              hard to believe that now...
              Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                Epicure is a truly Scottish potato grown under hardy conditions to provide a large and tasty crop of fast growing spuds. They have sold really well this year. The old varieties are making a come back as they taste so much better than the new processer friendly spuds that look great and taste like soap. I think you will enjoy them. Once you harvest them just wash them and put them straight into a pan of water to enjoy them at their best and eat with the skins on. I am hungry now.
                thanks for that Tattieman - it was a close runner-up to Winston for me, and i'm glad it has your seal of approval.
                Sorry to make you drool!!!!
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Hi Taff. Maincrops with flavour is all a matter of opinion. I like King Edward, Pentland Crown, Pentland Squire and Record all great potatoes. A vatiety called Markies is the one to use for chips now and Navan are also a good chipper.
                  Potato videos here.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

WhooHoo (***sighs with relief***) Tattieman likes King Edwards - mine are chitting as we speak. Lovely short, firm, dark purple shoots developing. I'm doing them in bags on the patio this year - hope they'll be 'cleaner' than ground-grown ones for showing.

Comment

I assumed they were just confused by the context. It's a reference to the recent "How long have you been gardening" poll thread (can't find it now - doh!) whereby the description of the highest category (10 years plus?) was something like "I am the Yoda of gardening".

Glad to hear that Epicure is a good variety, Tattieman, as it's one of the ones we chose at the Potato Day. We also have a couple of maincrops just to try (only a couple of tubers of each) - I'm planning on growing them on the patio, well away from the blight-prone allotment, and hoicking them into the conservatory if I get a blight warning. I know maincrops aren't recommended for container growing, but if you don't experiment you don't learn - and at a grand total of 72p for the four seed spuds in question, I think it's an experiment worth doing
                        Last edited by Eyren; 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

It is an age thing when i was a kid we had Dick Barton on the wireless and journey into space .
                          and on the tv we had the Appleyard's and the Grove Family i would not expect most of you young un's to have heard of them.
                          this was before they made Muffin the Mule ilegal....jacob
                          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Oh blimey, that takes me back!!!

Comment

I really liked Muffin the Mule, and listen with mother
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

my Nana used to go on about Dick Barton
                                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X