Tasteless horseradish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasteless horseradish

I bought a thong at Wilko's earlier this year and its been growing away quite happily in a pot. Last weekend we were having roast beef so I dug it up. Huge disappointment it had hardly any taste at all. Anyone got any ideas what I did wrong?

I read today that horse radish needs a good two hard snaps of frost to be any good. Maybe it was something to with that?

Sorry it didn't turn out as you expected...
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Just out of interest I am growing horseradish this year. Haven't tried it yet but noticed Teco's are selling fresh horseradish root now!!
      I am surprised your horseradish has a mild flavour as I thought with being fresh it would be stronger. I know the garlic I grow is much stronger than the shop bought variety which has probably sat on the shelf for eons!!

Hope you still have some growing to try after the frosts as shortie suggests!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My Dad used to grow it and believe me I've had cooler vindaloo's.
        He dug a hole put some compost in the bottom,cut the bottom out of a plastic bucket and sunk that in the hole,then planted the Horseradish in the bucket(it's VERY invasive)Late Autumn he would dig it up,brake off a small piece the size of your index finger and repeat the planting in a different place.He then made sauces and a relish with the rest,I don't have recipes as he's taken that to the great lottie in the sky.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X