pop up potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

absolutely fab!
    i've got rubble sacks from B&Q £2.50 for 10, and i'll punch holes in near the bottom for drainage.
    About the same size I reckon
    why would anyone purchase those three for £15 ones?!?
    poor unsuspecting folk don't know do they?
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

Cheers Greendean,

I got 5 yesterday. A question for all re potato's in containers, does anyone line the containers it stones, croc, etc before the compost?

Cheers
      Cheers

Danny

Comment

hi broad way

i didn't put anything in only multi purpose compost. I will add a mix of compost and well rotted manure as they grow.

check out this thread. i'm following tattiemans advice on these

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_28513.html
        above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

dear alice

last year i grew earlies in old compost bags in a similar way. I too found i didnt get any more potatoes there more i filled the bag but i did have some nice compost/manure to but on the beds this year. i will keep tabs on how they grow and report back. i may even try out different containers to see which is best.
          above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

Will be interesting to see how these go.
            The last few times i have been in poundland i have considered buying a couple of these to try out but i got the £14.99 3 planter set (reduced to £5 in homebase) so did'nt buy anymore.
            Keep us posted how they do.

Comment

we should all keep posting on this thread with our successes!!
              Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
              Independent Minds

Comment

I am about to buy some of those GD and they come in all shapes and sizes and varying prices, the ones you got are a real bargin.

I also have this old bath lying around that I decided to keep with the best of intentions of growing something in there, do you think my spuds will mind? Its fairly deep and would look quite amusing on the plot
                Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

We used old compost bags last year, i was paranoid about blight so i put the bags around the garden so that if any were struck down with blight they wouldn't be so close together for it to spread, we did loose some to blight but not all.
                  Good luck with your bags they are a really good idea.
                  When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

thanks miffy

just an update. sold out of those bags for now but home bargains has similar pop up planters in different sizes, £2.49 but i went for garden refuse bags made of similar material but not pop up for 69p each!

i will try these too and report back

Comment

No pound shop around here so have invested in the 3 for £15. Still think they were good value and would expect at least 10 years use out of them. Expect to harvest the first potatoes in about three weeks (planted on boxing day).

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
                        I am about to buy some of those GD and they come in all shapes and sizes and varying prices, the ones you got are a real bargin.

I also have this old bath lying around that I decided to keep with the best of intentions of growing something in there, do you think my spuds will mind? Its fairly deep and would look quite amusing on the plot
                        I have heard of people growing carrots in old baths as the carrot fly pest can't fly as high as the sides of the bath.
                        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I have one of these which I intend to use as a strawberry planter, I will make some holes around the sides to plant through and also plant up the top surface too in the hopes that the whole thing will be covered with loads of tumbling strawberries.

Fingers cross :-)

Comment

How did everyone get on with these?
                            I used one for potatoes and had a very nice haul
                            They are a bit flimsy for moving but i will definately use them again next year.

Anyone else?

Comment

I used one too, and it worked a treat. As you say Stevemac, they are a bit flimsy, and I don't know how long they'll last, but hey for a quid who cares?! I used mine for bringing on leek seedlings after the potatoes had finished so I've had my money's worth out of it. Actually, I cleaned it out and put a couple more seed spuds in for christmas just the other day.
                              My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
                                If I had a bath lying around and an allotment, I'd use the bath to make a worm bin. Ideal once you make sure the drainage is alright- moles can't get in to steal your worms and you can put a lid on to keep the birds off. Just put some of normal compost into the bin as long as it's rich with worms, and then keep adding your scraps/ trimmings. Don't add too much at one time to prevent heating, and stick to the usual greens/ browns rules. If you have rotted manure, your worm population will really explode. Makes much richer compost than normal method.
                                Some people would maintain you can even plant potatos in a worm bin and get a self-fertilising plot!
                                http://www.wormslovewaste.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X