So, does it need frost or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I looked on The Garlic Farm website and they say
    Garlic requires a spell of cold weather, generally 1-2 weeks at 0-4C, to prepare itself physiologically for bulb formation later in the year.
    They do it for a living, so they must know something!

Comment

I thought I'd read somewhere that garlic needed a month of temperatures below 10C, which in our climate probably coincides with "1-2 weeks at 0-4C"

So I'd say that frosts as such are not needed - just not really warm, mild spring weather either. I've been planting my garlic in February for the last couple of years, since autumn-planted garlic can rot in wet clay soil, and had no problems with it forming new cloves.

Comment

This link really explains it... just pick the right sort for your climate and you're laughing, apparently!
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

I have garlic growing, I didn't plant it this year, just didn't get it all out last year , I ended up with a good crop of potatoes last year by the same method

I had mixed results last year, some split and some stayed whole, I actually liked the the single non split bulbs, it saved alot of peeling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X