Cucumber Plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardroil View Post
    ive sown crystal lemon and they all cae up fine, i repoted them into 3" pots and put them into the greenhouse and they now seem to be dying, they are all folding over and starting to shrivel up, WHATS GONE WRONG did i put them into the greenhouse too soon!!!!
    Afraid that it's way too early (and cold )to be sowing cukes, especially up in our neck of the woods. I won't sow mine til at least the first week in April - and that is entirely weather dependent. It was the cold which did for yours.
    I now it's difficult (and sometimes frustrating) when you come on the Vine and read about all the seeds our southern sisters and brothers are sowing, but we're too far north for early sowings. OUr crops will not be any later in maturing though, because we have longer daylight hours during the summer and they soon catch up.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks rat, ill have to go and order more seeds cause i only had a few, aaahhhh well im of shopping now,
      and i WILL wait until april to sew them, promise.

Comment

thanks rat, ill have to go and order more seeds cause i only had a few, aaahhhh well im of shopping now,
        I'll PM you when I'm sowing mine so wait til you hear from me.
        Rat

British by birth

Comment

Online shopping?

If you want a few seeds I'm pretty sure I could spare some-just pm me.

Comment

Another first time grower of cucumber, im trying marketmore as i dont have a greenhouse,i planted them a few weeks ago and noticed them popping through today, so here goes.......
            Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I've never grown cucumbers but I've gone for Burpless Tasty Green F1 Hybrid. Outdoors. Should be fun. I love cucumbers and I'm trying to reduce salad costs this summer.

Comment

thanks again rat, i will wait till you pm me, thanks for that.

coreopsis, cheers for that, i will pm you.

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                  I will have 20 x Femspot, 20 x Pepinex , which are my tried and trusted favourites and this year I'm going to try 10 x Passandra (small cukes ideal for my veg boxes)
                  Rat

I wanted to get some positive mental attitude into my cucumber seedlings I hope you don’t mind!

Regards
                  Pat
                  Attached Files
                  "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Originally posted by -pat m View Post
                    rat

i wanted to get some positive mental attitude into my cucumber seedlings i hope you don’t mind!

Regards
                    pat
                    ROFL Fame at last !!
                    Last edited by sewer rat; 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM.
                    Rat

British by birth

Comment

Hello all, I'm new.

I am growing cucumbers for the first time this year. I have two seedlings on a sunny upstairs window sill in 5 inch pots, covered with homemade closhes that I make out of old 2 litre pop bottles.

Can anyone tell me what size pots I should be putting them in when they eventually go outside and whether I will have to put straw down for the plants to grow across or something? I thought they grew along the ground and this may cause problems on my patio - any advice on pot growing please? (I grow everything in pots!!)

Thanks!
                      Charlie x
                      "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

Comment

I am trying Burpless Tasty Green outside, no experience of growing cucumber, heard from various people that they are not easy, oh well here goes. Its a steep learning curve.

Comment

The first couple of times I grew cucs, I didn't do very well at all but bizarely since then I've found them really easy. Don't think I'm really doing anything different but it's like I suddenly got the hang of them. The only problems I have now is that if I sow them too early then I find they can rot before they get going. The only reason I can think for this is because they are growing very slowly in the cooler early season and don't have much vigour.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm having another go at cucs this year. I grew some plants last year but that is all I got, Plants! Plenty of flowers but not a single cuc! I gave plants to my uncle and my grandma and they had the same problem, amazing plants but no fruit!
                            So this year I am trying marketmore (outside) and F1 Pupinex (I think, don't have my seeds to hand) in the greenhouse.
                            I haven't sown anything yet. Any advice as to when I should start sowing? Also should I keep in pots or should I eventually repot into a growbag?

I love cucumbers so really hoping I'll get a few this year

Comment

I usually sow early April but I know others start earlier. I sow into little tiny newspaper pots, transplant into 3" pots and eventually into large pots (10", I think) in the greenhouse. I have tried grow bags but find that pots work better, possibly as they have a greater depth but am not sure. I eat quite a lot of cucs, OH eats some and a single plant would produce more than we need although I usually grow 2 and end up giving / swapping some.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison - if growing in pots, do you let them grow across the floor or do you pin them up? I heard if you grow them up you can have problems with the weight from the fruit....

Cx
                                Charlie x
                                "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X