Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new garden - Great soil - no sunlight! Help/advice please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you've managed to find your way back from town! Good luck in your new environment, I know from experience how hard it can be to find yourself in a new place (especially if you've been uprooted from Yorkshire, my home county!), keep smiling, and one day you'll realise it feels like home.

Now... the garden - good points (as always!) already on here. I used a combination of removing turf, as per Lynda's post, and putting down black membrane on my plot, both worked well, but I guess if you're in a hurry the former method would suit you best. I found that the soil somehow seemed to 'grow' when I removed the turf, so filled the beds anyhow - I suppose since it was then kind of 'fluffed up' (technical term, you realise ).
    Sow some seeds and see how you get on. How about putting some things into pots, so that you can move them around if needs be until you sort out where their permanant home will be?

Good luck on all counts
    Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

You could just dig up the turves (fairly deep) and place them upside down and plant straight into them.
      Don't dispair about the sun, it will get higher every day!
      Tx

Comment

Hi Victoria.

My garden is North facing and it's great in the summer cos we get lots of sun in the afternoon and evening, but we don't get anything during the winter. The sun is just creeping up at this time of year, and there's real promise of what's going to come! We hope. As for the veggies, I have a set of raised beds at the bottom of the garden where we get the most sun, and usually get very good crops. Some things haven't done so well, but I think that's our soil - very heavy clay.

Enjoy!

Comment

Sorry, not on topic at all but thought that I'd say I live in Ipswich as well, any particular reason for choosing this area? Nice countryside though, I prefer a village to a town myself.
          Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X