sweetcorn, how do you grow yours?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
    Question, are sweetcorn seedlings frost hardy? I would like to start some off indoors and then move them to an unheated GH already got far too many tender stuff that has to stay indoors
    Not at all frost hardy - sweetcorn are very tender plants, you can't plant out until you're very sure you've seen the last frost - even down here in Devon I don't start my seeds until April, ready for planting out in May - they grow quite quickly!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I have just erected a polytunnel and have a large raised bed 16footx5foot i intend to plant a full bed of sweet corn underplanted with squash and peas/beans to climb the corn, i dont know if it will work but again it looks like a very good use of the space.

Comment

I've just checked my records and I sowed my sweetcorn on 7 April last year. The year before I sowed on March 30th but if I remember correctly I lost that lot when we moved in April and I planted out a 3 sisters bed on 6th May...so they were sown the week after the 18th April.

At those dates of sowings, mine came good in decent time; in 2 rubbish summers. So, I'll sow mid April I think. I just haven't got space for much more indoors at the moment. I'm going to use Finedon Dandy's method as published in GYO this month.

Comment

hi i grow my corn as below 18" apart with pumpkin and squash inbetween
          c s c s c s c s c s c
          p c p c p c p c p c p
          c s c s c s c s c s c
          p c p c p c p c p c p
          c=corn p=pumpkin s=squash
          corn is never more that 18" apart. i enjoyed good results.

Comment

i've grown sweet nugget for the last 3 years, had good results except for when we flooded, they didn't like being surrounded by 2' water, but then again, nothing else did!
            i have heard that if you plant 2 diferent types then they shouldn't be close together as cross polination can occur, don't know how true that is but it does sound logical.
            we also use loo rolls so that there is no root disturbance.

Comment

Planting in a row.

I have actually grown sweetcorn in a row rather than the recommended block planting, and to great success, two good specimens from each of about 10 plants. I am going to try planting a grid interspersed across the whole plot this year. Let's see how that works out.

Comment

First Time Corn Grower

Hello everyone, I am new to gardening and new to this site

I have dabbled a bit over the years on and off with the odd salad crop in container but now I am going for it big time. I have a large plot so space is not an issue so my first thoughts have turned to Sweetcorn.

I have been reading everyone's advice and found it most useful

So here is my plan, I am going to use "Two Sisters" planing method with a squash (not sure which yet) as ground cover. Decided against "Three Sisters" method, but couldn't say exactly why

Sow seed in toilet rolls Mid April and grow on in conservatory till about Mid May. Hard off for about 5 days, out in day inside at night for 5-7 day before planting out in a block, sweetcorn plants 18 inch apart and interspersed with Squash plants. Feed with tomato food every 3-4 weeks and water regularly.

First question - Have I got my plan right or missed anything?

Second question - What seed variety would you recommend?

All help and advise gratefully received, I am here to learn and share

Comment

Hi,
                  We went for F1 hybrid SuperSweet last year in block planting scheme. Propagated seedlings planted out on the lottie faded and died out, whilst those which we planted straight into the ground flourished. Protected the seedlings with closh (ok, top & tailed individual 2L water bottles!) and we got a reasonable harvest. So we def not bothering to propagate again this year. We did soak the seeds first though.
                  Do like the sound of the Three Sisters to maintain soil moisture. I'll suggest it to Mrs P17B!
                  Cheers P17B
                  "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

me again! now i have decided on my planting method and formation but i would like to hand pollinate just incase as my garden isnt very windy.

I have read somewhere that you shake the silks over the flowers.

I know what flowers are, but what are silks? are they the bits at the top?

and secondly do i pollinate them with each other or will it be fine to do them on themselves? (a kind of shake and leave method!)

Thanks in advance again! :-)

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it till way down the line
                      If you plant them in a block they are almost always fine. If you really worry about it, just give the whole plant a small shake with your hand and it will be ok. Never done it AFAIR, although I do have a remarkably short term memory.

The bits at the tops is where the pollen comes from and it needs to be on the silky bits down on the cobs.
                      Last edited by womble; 30-03-2009, 09:13 AM.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Even in last years crap weather my Incredible F1 sweetcorn flourished.........and at 19p a packet from Netto's, didn't break the bank either.

One tip I can give is to throw the pan away! Pick corn and within five mins before sugar turns to starch....eat it raw from the cob. I can guarantee you will only see cooked sweetcorn as second best after that!
                        You brought back memories there Snadger. Have told Mr C that he must eat it straight after picking, no boiling etc. Used to do this as a kid with the sweetcorn in the garden, it never ever got to the kitchen

Comment

thank you womble

Comment

I'd say go for it. I planted all of my seeds in one raised bed last year. They were only about eight inches apart in each direction. Got a big crop with at least one and sometimes two cobs per plant. I dont think they mind being close together

Comment

Originally posted by beckybee View Post
                              I dont think they mind being close together
                              I think someone mentioned this before, but this does make me think of the maize (I presume) that they grow round here, it is very close together indeed.

Makes you wonder.
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

thought i'd just post that my sweetcorn is starting to appear from the toilet roll tubes i'm growing it in.
                                what is the general germination time, as it's been only about a week and just under half of them have started shooting up?
                                Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                                Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X