Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new vegetable will you grow this year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying melocoton this year a bright red squash-like fruit that has sweet juicy flesh.

Melocoton

Planted them in a seed tray last week and almost all have come up.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

A lot of different veg i will try this year, most of them are of the same types, like the Beetroot Burpees Golden instead of Boltardy and green Kohl Rabi instead of the purple ones etc etc. I am gonna try Asparagus Peas, Hamburg Parsley, Winter Squash Sweet Dumpling and Winter Squash Uchiki Kuri. And looking forward to it too.
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I am also trying okra for the first time, as well as celery, sprouts, psb, onions and garlic. I am also expanding the varieties of stuff I grew last year and aiming to improve on my successional sowing skills which were lacking last year.
        pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Too Much! Last year i struggled to fit all my veg into my patch so this winter just gone we doubled the size of it & raised all the beds. Trouble is i have got a bit carried away with the seed catalogues & fruit bushes and now have about ten times the amount i had last year!

Trying new this season:
          Raspberries,
          Gooseberries,
          Blackcurrants,
          Redcurrants,
          Plums,
          Onion sets - Radar,
          Onion seeds - Paris Silverskin & another "normal" onion,
          Leeks - Shelton,
          Red Cabbage - Marner something or other,
          Oriental Kale,
          Purple Sprouting Broccolli - early & late varieties,
          Peas - Sugarsnap & Keveldon Wonder (thanks Hazel!)
          Yellow Chard - didn't get any last year,
          Pak Choi - all bolted last year
          Lots of herbs

And probably a lot more that have slipped my mind!!
          Jane,
          keen but (slightly less) clueless
          http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Gherkin - Bimbostar. I think I am going to have to try it in a big pot under an mini greenhouse awning due to lack of bed space...

Comment

Laugh. oh dear. I have just ordered a huge amount of asparagus pea seeds...!

Comment

Nothing new this year as such as at some stage or another I have had a go at all the things that I like. Have never grown okra but I don't like it same with sweet potatoes. May have another go at growing a melon as I have grown the plants in the past but never actually produced a fruit. Will definitely be growing water cress again this year as I was really surprised how easy it was last year.

Ian

Comment

this year is first on the lottie so spuds are new to me also new .
                  Indian corn
                  melons
                  loofahs
                  pumpkin
                  patty pan squash
                  chillis
                  lemon grass,already up on window cill
                  don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                  remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Celery - 'Giant red reselected', from realseeds. Well, I will if it ever germinates: the seeds are in seed trays on my kitchen windowsill, but they've been there a fortnight or more, and nothing's happening yot. However, the packet says that they can be slow to germinate, and I probably haven't kept them warm enough: I keep the heating off in the kitchen to save fuel.
                    Also collys - an Italian variety called 'Ottobrino', which produces amazing, spiral, fractalising heads like some broccoli.
                    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Being relatively new to this growing malarky pretty much everything is new to me. This year I'm attempting for the first time:

Swede
                      Patty Pan Squash
                      Cabbage (maybe, haven't yet decided)
                      Broccoli

Various other varieties of things that I can't remember right now...
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

i'm gonna give sweetcorn a go and also celery, and this year i'm doing a herb bed so most of the herbs will be new too.

Comment

well, it's my first year growing with an allotment so almost everything is new! The one I'm most excited about though is the humble potato. Haven't had any home grown potatoes since my gran used grow them when I was a kid.

Comment

This is only my 2nd year and I will trying onions from sets this time - and rhubarb - not together
                            The only thing I had any success with last year was potatoes.

Comment

Pretty much my first go at growing veg from seed. It would have been easier to cross out a couple of things from the catalogue and asked them to send me everything else.

Also growing asparagus, rhubarb, soft fruit and trees for the first time. I thing I may be sneaking a few things into my neighbours' houses
                              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                                Celery - 'Giant red reselected', from realseeds. Well, I will if it ever germinates: the seeds are in seed trays on my kitchen windowsill, but they've been there a fortnight or more, and nothing's happening yot. However, the packet says that they can be slow to germinate, and I probably haven't kept them warm enough: I keep the heating off in the kitchen to save fuel.
                                I think nearly all the umbellifers (carrot family) are slow to germinate - I sowed my celeriac at least a fortnight ago and only just now have they started poking their heads above ground.

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                                Also collys - an Italian variety called 'Ottobrino', which produces amazing, spiral, fractalising heads like some broccoli.
                                It is lovely, isn't it? I've found that in the last two years it hasn't been ready by October owing to the cool conditions, but on the other hand don't forget about it or it will open up and lose the perfect fractal pattern

Romanesco (Small Plot? No Problem!)
                                Last edited by Eyren; 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X