X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great plot AAL, I'm really jealous!
    AKA Angie

Comment

I think a lot of people start small but as someone said once you get hooked there will never be enough tubs beds or plots, to do all the things that you want to grow.

Ian

Comment

Another Newbie

I'm just starting out growing my own this year and this site has given me much to think about. Wow, what a great site!

I am also going to be growing in containers in a, let's say, small garden. I am thinking of growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and cucumbers. Looking through this forum though, i might catch the bug and need to start looking for an allotment as i have already had some good ideas for growing other things.

Any ideas on veggies and varieties to grow in the not so great climate of the West of Scotland. I live on the Ayrshire Coast?

Comment

Hi Paul, I'm in Ayrshire as well. You can grow anything you want, you just might need to plant later and give the plants protection.
          Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Cathy.
            Another new grower here as well. I did buy one of those plastic greenhouses and found it very usefull for starting my veg. Okay they are not as big as we would probably like but i think they are a good place to start.
            As you probably have found out you will get so much help from this place.
            Good luck.

Comment

Good luck with your venture and have a great time (it's what it's all about!).
              All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
              For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Hello Cathy,

My sister bought me a 4-tier mini plastic growhouse which I used last year (mainly to protect some things from the driving rain). My garden is relatively protected from the wind so it hasn't been flung around the garden.

I've bought a walk-in version and cold-frame version to use this year. As they're so lightweight it's quite handy to be able to move them around the garden as required.

The staging comes in handy too, with or without the covers.
                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I started off growing tomatoes in pots about 5 years ago, gradually took over one of the flower beds with veg and ended up with an allotment 2 years ago. It's amazing what you can grow in pots, you probably won't be self sufficient but you can easily be eating something you've grown every day throughout the season, which is a great feeling

Welcome to the Vine btw

Comment

Welcome Cathy. If you like growing veg, then your'e certainly in the right place. It's always a good practice to start small, and only grow what you like or is expensive to buy. Then move on to those curiosities, i'm sure each one of us here likes to grow something each year, that we have never tried before, or you just can't buy it in the stores. Whatever you grow, i'm sure it'll taste wonderful (it always does).
                    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Hi Cathy and welcome. I lived in Thirsk up until a week ago when I moved. My mini GH was a godsend so I'd definatly recommend it. My chilis, strawberrys and most of my flowers benefited from a blast in there before being planted out.

Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                      And only count lifes sunny hours,
                      For her dull days do not exist,
                      Evermore the optimist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X