No announcement yet.

Planting Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew garlic last year in both the poly tunnel and outside, in order to see the difference. Solent White planted in March. Good size bulbs in polytunnel, which dried nicely, the ones in the garden were smaller, but taste a whole lot better. Could I plant in October, from a garlic just harvested? I wasn't organised enough to order in late summer!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
      Could I plant in October, from a garlic just harvested? I wasn't organised enough to order in late summer!
      Hi Jennie. could you clarify what you are asking as this post [Jan 06] leaves me unsure. Sorry perhaps I'm just being thick as usual
      October and late summer are now both in the future. If you mean October 2006 then you havent missed the garlic bulbs for sale.
      If you want to buy now then Asda has Garlic, white onions and shallots for growing on sale in their garden section.
      Jax

Comment

Hi Jennie,

Our local garden centre has some in as well. so you could try them (wasn't there an offer in GYO Jan or feb edition?)
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Sorry Jaxom I wasnt very clear.

What I meant was ......... if I don't order any garlic in the summer (2006) cos I am not organised enough, could I harvest my garlic in September (2006) and then use one of the harvested bulbs to replant in October (2006) ?? Or is this pushing it a bit?

Hmmmm.... unfortunately we don't have an Asda here - just a Somerfield and rather old fashioned Co-op and our local garden centre isn't into veg stuff other than cabbages and such like yet (veg and flower gardening only really taking off here in the last 2/3 years!).

Have just received eight nice bulbs from the Garlic Farm though - they were pretty impressed with someone ordering from so far north. Their advert at the moment says only grown as far north as Orkney! I may change that!

Grateful for any advice.
          Jennie
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
            Sorry Jaxom I wasnt very clear.

What I meant was ......... if I don't order any garlic in the summer (2006) cos I am not organised enough, could I harvest my garlic in September (2006) and then use one of the harvested bulbs to replant in October (2006) ?? Or is this pushing it a bit?

Grateful for any advice.
            Jennie

Anyone ?????
            ~
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

No idea..but as a bulb, it is in it's dormant stage, so if you did replant it , I would think it should grow again . Maybe you could thin a few out and plant them, and save a few until spring? I am leaving my elephant garlic in for it's 2nd season hoping they will develp further.You'd leave daffs and tulips etc, so why not garlic- so long as you split the cloves?!. Any one else??..
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Jennie,

The short answer is yes....as long as the harvested bulb has dried out fully then yes it can be replanted.
                Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Thanks for that Geordie
                  ~
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hello to everyone I'm a newbie

I read in gardening mag last year, that in south uk garlic could be planted as early as mid-september,and this results in 50% bigger bulbs compared to spring planted bulbs.

The mag also said the use of wood ash was very important in feeding the garlic with potash.

I followed this advice and at present have 35 out of 36 healthy plants,lost one due to cats
                    Normally I just bung it in about early spring, will be interesting to see the results,if it works I will plant alot more this year

Comment

Potash, well I be! Didn't know that, good tip, will try, do you know when to feed them?

Andrewo
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo
                      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

It says mix plenty of wood ash into the soil before planting and continue sprinkling more around the plants during the growing seasion.
                        Keep adding until the ash reaches 3 - 4" deep

Comment

won't it blow away ??
                          ~
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

It may well do in Shetland coz you guys get some strong winds, I know, I lived on Unst for 18 months in '93.

I thought the same with the ash, but no not as yet,its staying put

Comment

Is woodash and potash the same thing?
                              Best wishes
                              Andrewo
                              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Technically no but practically yes

Potash is actually potassium containing compounds, specifically Potassium Sulphate (I think.... someone will probably correct me). Wood ash is a good source of potash hence it amounts to the same thing, again someone will probably correct me but I think this is about the crux of it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X