No announcement yet.

growing tomatillo near tomato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have always grown tomatillos outside and got a good crop off them. If you grow them under cover then you'll need to fertilise them yourself and I'm almost 100% sure that they can't cross pollinate.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

just because an organism isn't of the same species doesn't mean they can't interbreed; as an example a tiger and a lion are able to breed it's just that they are different species because they are separated by the indian ocean!

but i do highly doubt that they will cross, the tomato and the tomatillo that is, as the tomatillo is from the physalis genus, and the tomato is from the solanum genus.

genus is the one above species by the way, ie they are related but not all that related!
      'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ' Douglas Adams

http://weirdimals.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi jimbojetset, you may be right in which case I stand corrected. I got the information I provided from the internet as I didn't know myself, this is what it said:

'While you generally can't cross-pollinate vegetables from different species, you can create a hybrid of vegetables from the same botanical species. The process is fairly simple. Many vegetables have male and female flowers. Male flowers can be cut off to pollinate female flowers.'
        AKA Angie

Comment

hey selfraising,
          wasn't arguing with you!
          and the more eagle eyed among you will notice that there is a wee difference between large felines and plants from the deadly nightshade family!
          erm just breaking down the quotation; it's saying that you can make a hybrid from members of the same species
          and i'm saying that tomatillo's and tomato's aren't the same species
          and so back to the quote 'you can't generally cross pollinate vegetables from different species'
          yep 'generally' being the key phrase here, it's unlikely, but is possible
          and in the case of plants from a different genus, very very unlikely
          hope that's clearer!
          'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ' Douglas Adams

Comment

It's okay jimbojetset I wasn't arguing either. If I came across as such I'm sorry, things haven't been to great lately and I'm not thinking straight!
            AKA Angie

Comment

hey selfraising,
              i think we were agreeing is the point i was trying to make!?
              hope things get better? and if they aren't PM me if you need someone to erm... PM to?!
              at least on the plus side it's time to start growing soon!
              x

Comment

Yeah thanks jimbojet! Already getting short of space on windowsills!!
                AKA Angie

Comment

Sometime I'm going to start a thread about all the things I didn't know about until I joined the Vine.

One of them is the tomatillo. I have no idea what it is, and have only ever heard of it on here - any of our garden centres in quite a wide radius haven't got them either.

Goes off to google...
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Nothing like a good google! I've not seen any plants for sale but seeds should not be too hard too find, Real seeds usually have them. They are easy to grow, as previously said you need to grow more than one (not self fertile) and they get quite big!
                    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                      Nothing like a good google! D

Yes, I've googled and now I know a little bit about them - I've learned so many new words on the Vine I'm almost ready to go on Countdown.
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

i have just received my tomatillo seeds, so this has been very helpful for me, i am just looking forward to seeing them grow, i don't think i have ever actually seen a tomatillo, well not outside of a salsa anyway
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!
                        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Be prepared for monster plants - all you tomatillo lovers...They are magnificent but need a good 6 foot wide berth.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                            I've learned so many new words on the Vine I'm almost ready to go on Countdown.

Ive got a few spare seeds if you would like some to try. pm me your address
                            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I'd never heard of them until I got a Mexican cook book and couldn't find anywhere to buy them so decided to grow. Make really lovely salsas and the like out of them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X