Plant Markers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magz.mccarthy View Post
    We're all hopeless at painting so should be pretty entertaining. I'll put up pictures when they're done.
    You need to add wine to the evening - then we should see some really interesting vegetable on those signs.

Comment

ha ha, wine is always a given. hopefully we can find room to paint with all the potatoes and seedlings around!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun the Sheep View Post
        I also like to use a soft pencil on plastic labels. Unfortunately the foxes round here love to steal the labels (particularly when I've just sown rows of seeds and there's nothing to see to give me a clue what I've put in). I now use large smooth pebbles and write on them with permanent marker. It's not actually permanent, but does remain visible for about a season.
        That is a fabulous idea, thank you! I have a problem with some creature or other pulling up my white plastic labels - I think it's either birds or my resident mouse family.

Comment

I make my markers from strips of plastic milk bottles and find that permanent marker scrubs off with a scourer.

Comment

I bought a bag 0f 100 plastic markers from the local garden centre but I found that they broke easily - probably to being aged by the sun. Just wish I kept all those ice lolly sticks the kids binned now
            aka Neil

Comment

I use a permanent marker, on the plastic labels, & clean off the writing with an alcohol based cleaner. - seems to work ok.

TonyO.

Comment

I read this tip just a couple of days ago, at the end of the season put all the plastic labels in a jam jar containing a weak solution of bleach and water, then just wash, gets the permanent marker off. dont know if this works or is a good idea but will probably try it when needed.

Comment

NOt entirely relevant but continuing the pencil theme - years ago NASA spent their millions developing a pen that could write any which way in space.

The Russsians used - a pencil!

If its good enough in space it must be good down here too.
                  Jo

time, patience, and perseverance will accomplish all things.

Comment

If you've used permanent marker on the usual white plastic labels, scrape them gently with a sharp knife, then finish it off with warm soapy water and a scourer. You can remove the writing and use them again

Comment

I use milk bottles cut up for labels too, mum found an old chinagraph in a draw and i have been using that it is really good but have found pencil works well too.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Have discovered that the little wooden stirrers I get with takeaway coffee are good plant markers (I just use biro on them, wasn't planning to reuse them).

Comment

Hi
                          I've accumulated a huge amount of plastic labels and have just done my annual scrup up. I used marker pens last year but found (due to my scrubbing the labels in previous years?) they kept not working so have changed to pencil this year. Found a very old box of coloured pencils which should see me through a few years more.
                          Gel pens not a good idea, put all my tomato seeds in the propagator and it all washed off, started again....
                          Did try some lollysticks - big bag from Lakeland - and they got a bit unreadable later in the season, ones I've found when weeding are nice and soft for going in the compost bin.
                          Sue

Comment

permanent marker wipes off with cellulose thinners
                            or for the ladies.....................nail varnish remover.
                            if you se metal labels they last forever,flattened scrap copper pipe works well.
                            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X