Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snohare View Post
    (Adopting inscrutable sensei demeanour)
    Truly, monkey man, you have learned all that I know of this craft.
    thank you sensei
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

Was reading about this in a French gardening mag a few days ago and it says that a lot of the story about wind is a myth, which started off in WW2 because other veggies weren't available and the non-French troops thought that JAs were far too fiddly to cook and eat.

And it did effect people's digestive system because of their overall diet, not because JAs in themselves cause the problem.

We eat them fairly regularly without contributing to greenhouse gasses in any significant way.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
        Was reading about this in a French gardening mag a few days ago and it says that a lot of the story about wind is a myth, which started off in WW2 because other veggies weren't available and the non-French troops thought that JAs were far too fiddly to cook and eat.

And it did effect people's digestive system because of their overall diet, not because JAs in themselves cause the problem.
        That sounds more of a myth to me. JA's certainly do cause wind in at least some people.

Me included.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

just resurrecting this briefly
          do you let the said JAs dry out a little - a bit like chitting - out of the fridge or plonk them direct in the soil from the said white goods?

ta!
          Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

As they need moisture and warmth to sprout, and they will have dehydrated to some degree while in the fridge, I would suggest that you put them in a jug of warm water to unwrinkle, then plant and stand well back !
            Wrinkly ones probably will still sprout given the right conditions, but I'll bet they are a lot more iffy...
            The only reason you chit potatoes really is to establish when conditions are becoming right for planting (assuming they are kept in uninsulated sheds outside, as they used to be), and so that you can remove all but one sprout, thus directing all the resources of the tattie into one stem. JAs only sprout from one end, they don't have eyes, so they don't need it.
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

merci bien snohare
              that is exactly what i was after
              i've stuck one out there and i'm gonna see what pops out
              how big a container would you use, and who voted for this thread??
              Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

C'est rien, mon frere du jardin.
                The container I was using at my parents, which gave me a pretty small yield compared to the ones in my allotment, was the size of a florist's bucket - you know, the ones that you get cut flowers in at the supermarkets, that they sell off at 8 for 99p ? Given my choice, I would (actually,I will have to) put it in a much larger bucket, width I think was the limiting factor. But the reason I put it in the pot I did, was simply so that I could leave it inside another pot, that would have a bit of water in it and save me having to water it (since I was mostly 60 miles away). This year, I plan to simply dig the bucket in a little into some soil, and let groundwater/rain keep it going.
                What is voting for threads all about, and why would we do it ? A displacement activity born of political frustration ??
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

well i thank you for everything snohare!!!
                  Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X