Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for something different to grow

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help. Some of us on our local allotment would like to try something a bit different to grow and to encourage some friendly competition. We are going to do the biggest pumpkin challenge next year, but also want to try something that none of us have grown before. Does anyone have any ideas on weird and wonderful things we can grow?

Thanks all

How about trying Black Russian Tomatoes or Crystal Lemon Cucumbers, both unusual and relitivly easy to grow

Comment

If you asked a small child what colour a carrot is, they'd probably say orange. Going through the catalogues, there are also other coloured carrots available - white, yellow, purple, red - perhaps grow these or varieties that go away from the "norm".
      Strawberry popcorn looks decorative and can be "popped" in the micro.
      One year, I grew a green cauliflower, then there are the romanesco broccolis.
      There are strange shaped colourful squash things as well - I've grown patty pans, a friend grows Turks Turban.
      Grab a couple of seed catalogues and drool.
      My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
      Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

I got a packet of multi coloured carrots in my MOM pack! very interesting! can't wait to plant them! dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Soomai, Welcome to the Vine.

Ah it may start as friendly but just you wait The obious ones are tallest sunflower, Longest runner bean. Giant veg (pumpkins, cabbage, onions, carrots etc) there are loads of them but it can be addictive!

Do you have a flower & veg show on your lottie plot? If so, why not get someone who isn't allowed to enter to get some tubers of a dahlia & give you all a cutting for & then have a special class for it. If they pick one that isn't a common one it will stop people getting help (sounds better than cheating) from a local grower.

You could charge 50p for the cutting & entry then he or she could get some cuttings of some more from the national dahlia collection & you could have next years sorted as well. Then get a local dahlia grower or Judge to oversee the blooms. It's a test of skill then if you don't know what your dealing with
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Achocha perhaps?

Comment

Hi Soomai and welcome to the vine. How about salsify and scorzonera? Old fashioned british root veg.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

We have an annual chilli competition between a group of our friends - although this would possibly necessitate you all having access to greenhouses of some sort (lots of my friends didn't - they just grew them in pots on a sunny spot outside or if small, on a sunny windowsill inside)

what about gourds? they look odd and are easy to grow (not edible though) - you could have 'oddest shaped gourd' contests
                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                Happy Gardening!

Comment

school competition

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing as a fundraiser for a school?

Any suggestions welcomed before I suggest it at the next "pta" meeting. (they don't call themselves a pta at my daughter's school, they are friends of the school)
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your ideas. Plenty to think about and suggest.

Comment

okra? might not do very well outside though.

Comment

Tomatillos, I've really enjoyed growing these and everyone who's tried them has liked them. They don't seem to need much attention and look really exotic.

Comment

Just thought of another one, how about purple kohrahbi, that's also a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by blackkitty View Post
                            Just thought of another one, how about purple kohrahbi, that's also a bit different.
                            I grew parsnips and kohl rabi one year, neither of which I am keen on eating!

Someone told me they were nice in broth so I put them both in with other veg!

Yuuuuk! It was like soup with a bag of sugar chucked in!!!!!!!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Fancy trying the walking stick kale this year....3 metre high kale anybody? Got the stepladders behind the shed ready for harvesting Lol
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X