Growing Maca - Peruvian Ginseng

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Snadger
    the first lot of maca seeds didn't germinate ( this lot came from someone in Uk and I think is the same source as yours so I presume that the seeds are too old. The one that germinated come directly from Colombia, yes they came up very quickly and I will find very interesting growing this crop.
    My best regards
    Don Vincenzo

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo View Post
      Hi Snadger
      the first lot of maca seeds didn't germinate ( this lot came from someone in Uk and I think is the same source as yours so I presume that the seeds are too old. The one that germinated come directly from Colombia, yes they came up very quickly and I will find very interesting growing this crop.
      My best regards
      Don Vincenzo
      Have you got a link for ordering some more Don? Cheers
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Noticed Don has posted on another thread so I thought I would resurrect this one.

Managed to get a second lot of Maca seeds which germinated quite quickly but only seem to be growing ve-e-e-ry slowly!

How are yours doing Don? Any chance of a piccie?
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello Snadger
          Yes they grow quite slowly but they look quite interesting and by tomorrow I am going to transplant them in small pots before the final situ. I will get some pictures late today.
          Regards
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Noticed Don has posted on another thread so I thought I would resurrect this one.

Managed to get a second lot of Maca seeds which germinated quite quickly but only seem to be growing ve-e-e-ry slowly!

How are yours doing Don? Any chance of a piccie?
            Hello Snadger and everyone
            please find some piccies of my maca, these are a trial. Hopefull tomorrow I will tranplant them. I will keep the forum informed.
            regards
            Don
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo View Post
              Hello Snadger and everyone
              please find some piccies of my maca, these are a trial. Hopefull tomorrow I will tranplant them. I will keep the forum informed.
              regards
              Don
              I have planted mine out yesterday into a prepared bed. They were a little bit ahead of the ones in the piccies but your piccies were taken a month ago Don!
              I couldn't resist a taste of one of them which had a root about half the size of a pea. Tasted of a very strong radish!
              I look forward to growing the plants to fruition and also the butterscotch flavour!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What do you do with them? Are they to eat like a veg or are they a super-thingie like the other ginseng? Will you have superpowers when you've eaten them?
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  What do you do with them? Are they to eat like a veg or are they a super-thingie like the other ginseng? Will you have superpowers when you've eaten them?
                  No idea, no idea and hopefully!

They look a bit like turnips!

I'll just try to grow them first and then read up on what to do with them afterwards!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Anybody have success growing Maca?

Hey guys,

Nice to see your attempts at growing Maca. Were any of you successful?

I'm from the UK but I've recently moved to South Africa with my gf. We're looking at buying a small farm in the Karoo and I'm wondering if Maca would grow there. It's semi-desert so has hot days and cold nights. It would be great if it would grow here as it's hard to get Maca in the shops. I used to sprinkle it on my breakfast every day and it's one of the only 'wonder foods' that I can say actually had a real effect. Definitely an energy booster, and, without going into too much detail, it had some other benefits which I shan't complain about either!

Look forward to your responses

Comment

Hi Snadger
                      Did your Ginseng trials amount to anything? My sister in Law was claiming you can't grow it on the same land twice? didn't see that in the info you posted before. Just wondered if you had any success and if It might be worth me trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                        Hi Snadger
                        Did your Ginseng trials amount to anything? My sister in Law was claiming you can't grow it on the same land twice? didn't see that in the info you posted before. Just wondered if you had any success and if It might be worth me trying.
                        They were verrrrrry slow growing and after a long season (admittantly not the best!) they finished up not much bigger than marbles! They appeared to be affected by clubroot which I know I have a bit of in parts of my plot........so they may be a brassica? Possibly why you can't grow it on same land twice?

I would possibly try them again but I would grow them in the greenhouse in pots of sterile compost. I did have a bit of a munch at them but instead of tasting like butterscotch they tasted to me like a very strong cabbagy radish! I suppose the mountains of Peru are a bit different from downtown Geordieland!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

So I should buy some kohl rabi seed then?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                            So I should buy some kohl rabi seed then?
                            They're certainly a lot easier to grow but are also an aquired taste methinks!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X