No announcement yet.

Am I just excited or wasting my money?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alex and welome to the vine, i have some spare melon seeds if you like to give them a go x Belle

Comment

Thats a really nice offer, thankyou very much but I think I had probably better get permission off my gran before I start growing things like that aswell I expect they will grow quite big. Everyone is so nice on here
      Always Helping Others To Help Themselves...

Comment

[QUOTE=selfraising;373599]Well I buy the seed potatoes and then chit them in egg boxes. This should be done about six weeks before planting so they can produce small shoots. Then I dig down about at least six inches and just pop them in. I have also grown them in containers and potato grow bags.
        well i may have a go at that to, last year my gran had loads of potatoes so i imagine so will still be in the ground so my not even have to grow some.

getting all excited about tomorrow now !!

Comment

You need to decide which sort of potatoes you want to grow; first earlies, second earlies or maincrop. Not sure about the one's still in the ground from last year Alex, could be dodgy!!
          AKA Angie

Comment

Hello Alex and welcome. I come from Yorkshire and remember both my father and grandfather saying that the dates on the packets are at least two weeks earlier that they would be planting. As to guide dates in magazines I question how anyone can recommend what to do when they have to get it to the editor two months before the publication date and that is usually the month before the date they are talking about.
            Keep records and speak to the vine, you will get all the advice you need here.
            Last edited by Digger-07; 15-02-2009, 08:22 PM.
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Thanks Digger I think your right!! probably just another money making scheme. never mind I shall carry on trying my best. I have a big family to feed of which most think I am silly!!! I will prove them wrong, with your help of course

Comment

You need to sort out what plants are frost tolerant and what ones are frost tender. Frost tolerant can be started early in a cool greenhouse or under cover and then hardened of and planted out as soon as the weather warms the soil up.Frost tender will need to be well above freezing all the time and so do not want to be started to early as it becomes very expensive to keep the temp up. Onions and leeks should definitely have been sown into pots by now along with any summer brassicas. Tomatoes and the like I would wait till mid March.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X