Allotment Plan - It's all gone wrong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment Plan - It's all gone wrong

As some of you know i've been working on my first allotment trying to get things ready for the season ahead. Everything has been dug and the 1st round of weeding has been done. And then i got the greenhouse itch.........i scoured the net/papers/adds/ and freecycle and didn't land anything. And then Christmas came early and i was offered an old nursary polytunnel.........4m (13') wide x 6m long (20') and 2.1m tall. I'm extremely happy to have landed such a catch but now i find myself not knowing what what will be happy in a tunnel and what won't. Because it's so large i really need to get the site right so that i can keep as many of the established plants as possible. (like the asparagus beds!)

If anyone has any ideas on the veggies or ideas for the site then i'd really appriciate the help.

my original plot plan and the proposed site for the new tunel are attatched: I'll try get the new site plan inc. tunnel done asap.

(Approx plot dimensions 6m wide x 16m long)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Duronal; 24-02-2009, 08:58 AM.
    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
    www.outofthecool.com
    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Have ou considered shortening the tunnel ?? You don't have to use all the hoops.

Another option is to use the hoops but cover in netting to give protection for you crops while still keeping an eye out for a greenhouse. There are a load on ebay justa matter of time before you find one in your area.
    Last edited by Beetroot Bob; 13-02-2009, 07:40 PM.
    "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
    So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" Brian O'Rourke

Comment

Not using all the hoops sounds like a plan Bob. I guess it would save a little money on the cover too.

.......could I move the potatos under cover for early/late crops?
      www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Don't see why not. My home town NEVER got below 38 deg C in summer and the tatties grew fine. Think your sqaushes will actually appreciate the extra warmth too!
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I think most keen allotmenteers have plots that are continually evolving. That why it's best not to put any permanent fixture in until you're 100% sure they will be there in 5 years time.
          I've just been offered as many hardwood doors as I want. Just in the process of building an octagonal hen coop on top of my 2nd year strawberry bed.
          Artichokes and strawberries are now dislodged in the snow, and I don't even know where I'm going to move them to yet.

Newbies beware.............allow your allotment to evolve and don't be too fixed in your ways!

It'll all come right in the end Duronal..................then you'll change it! lol
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks snadger.......maybe my approach has drifted and i'm trying to be too regimented. I started by throwing tomato seeds from a sandwich into a pot and watching the plants grow. The fact they grew was more inspiring than all this planning. I think i'll try to get back to something a little more rudimentary.

Food for thought......

Does anyone know if the following crops will grow undercover?

Asparagus
            Rhubarb
            Raspberry
            Cabbage/brassicas

In the event that they will grow will i harvest early or will the reduced light but increased heat lead to a poor yield?

Many Thanks in advance

D
            www.outofthecool.com

Comment

I wouldn't grow any of those in a tunnel - they dont need it.
              Use the tunnel for something that likes the protection ... see Sewer Rat for inspiration, or Pigletwillie
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Also better check that you are allwed to put up such a large pollytunnel in the first place. My alltoment agreement has quite strict guidelines on the size of any structures I can put up.
                My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

The allotment council was the first port of call after i was offered the tunnel After spending an evening drawing pictures of the proposed tunnel and my ideas for the plot it was okayed.

The only reason i listed that particular list of crops is that if asparagus will grow in a tunnel then i can build the tunnel over the existing beds and still have enough room for outside beans and potatoes. it's border line lazy i know but some may call it efficient!
                  Last edited by Duronal; 16-02-2009, 06:49 PM.
                  www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
                    Thanks snadger.......maybe my approach has drifted and i'm trying to be too regimented. I started by throwing tomato seeds from a sandwich into a pot and watching the plants grow. The fact they grew was more inspiring than all this planning. I think i'll try to get back to something a little more rudimentary.

Food for thought......

Does anyone know if the following crops will grow undercover?

Asparagus
                    Rhubarb
                    Raspberry
                    Cabbage/brassicas

In the event that they will grow will i harvest early or will the reduced light but increased heat lead to a poor yield?

Many Thanks in advance

D
                    Surely they would benefit in a tunnel ? It would keep the Cabbage White Butterfly off.
                    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Well after a great deal of frustration and huffing/puffing and general steaming kettle impressions the tunnel frame is in the ground.

I must say that without the help of Ian and Sophie (my allotment neighbours) it simply would have happened, hooray for teamwork and kind deeds.

Pictures will go up tomorrow as my camera seems to have gone bonkers.

oh before i forget has everyone seen these?

it's a 49 module propagator which self regulates its' water and then the bottom of the modules push up to release the plug. I think they're pretty niffty especially as they have a 12 year warranty. (saying that i've still got peppers in recycled chinese take away trays.......the plastic ones.) add to that they're stackable and i think they're a great unheated propagating solution.

Please enable your cookies

www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Hmm i wish i coud change the title of this thread so that it read Allotments don't go wrong they just evolve! Snadger's way of thinkning is much easier/more fun.

Here are the photos of the tunnel frame up and running. Does anyone know how much plastic i have to bury on each side to keep it secure? or how much i have to add on to the width dimension to accomadate this?

Dimensions so far are

Height 2m
                        Width 4m 33
                        Length 20ft 6.10m
                        Hoop Length 20ft 6.10m

My guestimate is that the cover should be 5m85 wide and 10m long

Thankyou for all the encouragement and help so far

D
                        Attached Files
                        www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
                          Hmm i wish i coud change the title of this thread so that it read Allotments don't go wrong they just evolve! Snadger's way of thinkning is much easier/more fun.

Here are the photos of the tunnel frame up and running. Does anyone know how much plastic i have to bury on each side to keep it secure? or how much i have to add on to the width dimension to accomadate this?

Dimensions so far are

Height 2m
                          Width 4m 33
                          Length 20ft 6.10m
                          Hoop Length 20ft 6.10m

My guestimate is that the cover should be 5m85 wide and 10m long

Thankyou for all the encouragement and help so far

D
                          If you go back to your original post and click on "advanced" you can edit the title.
                          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X