X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japanese onion sets

Hi,
    sorry for this but I'm a newbie

Can you buy japanese onions (as described in this month's mag) as bulbs or only seed ?
    If bulb, where can I find them, as my local Garden Centre do not stock them.

thanks in advance

mark

Hi mark, I was lucky in that both my local Garden Centres had the onion sets & garlic sets. I have also seen them in Wilkinsons. All the big seed firms should supply them, you can even order online! I have some growing from seed as well but I think it may be a bit late to sow seed now. Keep looking and I am sure you wil find some I am sure some of the grapes will let you know of other places to find them too!

Welcome to the vine by-the-way
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hi mark
      Excellent question - i like the look of these too. i looked in my local Garden center but didnt find any.
      To add to this question when we have found them, how / what / when is the best time /place/condictions to grow them in?

Where in UK are you? Reason for asking is that if I find some locally it may be local to you too.
      Last edited by denise; 19-09-2006, 08:55 AM.
      Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
      -- Alfred E. Neumann
      http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

I got mine off ebay! around 1.90 for 50 sets, plus £2 p&P. I got Senshyu again, and I'm trying Radar too this year. Just type in onion sets into the search and you should find them nae bother.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I was lucky too,my local g.c. had both garlic and onion sets but again search round or on-line.

With garlic i plant pointy end up and push down to the reach of my fingers,about an inch and a half and worked well last year, with the onions my monty book told me to plant so are about two thirds covered with soil but i found they moved around too much so i have planted a little deeper this time,just and so bulb is covered, we will see.

As for onion seed i was looking at my packet this am and seems to be jan onwards for sowing but think that more main crop onions.

I cant wait for my new harvest,thought i had grown loads this time but am getting thro them soo fast they wont last long, its so great too use your own...

Comment

Thanks all,
            I'm on the island of Portland in Dorset (Weymouth nearest town). Now I'm off to look at ebay :-)

mark

Comment

Twitcher's paradise! I used to live in Wareham. Bet you get some really nice continental butterflies turning up too.

Comment

Hi Mark - contact Adam at Seedsforsuccess (he's a member of the Vine as well). That's who I've ordered mine from. dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I bought mine at my local garden shop Mr middleton. Thet were euro2.99cents for 50 and i planted them out last Friday. I have put a net over them as the birds tend to bull them out of the ground thinking the tops are straw or the like and want it for their nests. ( i planted radar )

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Purchased mine from my local lottie shop (on site) here in Watford. Cost .70p for a bag full - about 100.

I think you are supposed to trim the tops when planting the winter onions, so the birds can't pull them up.

Hope to plant mine, finally this coming weekend - weather permitting

Welshie

Comment

Birdie wife.....................don't get me started on bl***y butterflies. I used to like them BEFORE I had an allotment lol.

mark

Comment

nice one mark! so did I? but after they ate ALL my cabbage, broccoli, and sprouts I HATE the little blighters!. My seed onions from Adam at seedsforsuccess arrived today, so Im going to plant them this weekend. Any news in your search? did you contact Adam? dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Dexterdog, Glad they arrived and hope they were safe and sound
                          Good luck planting them

Comment

hi Adam and thanks! will let you know how I get on, although my summer onions were, to say the least, a disappointment! will read your "growing guides" and follow your advice this time. dexterdog PS not that I got my summer onions from you.......I local garden centre was the source!
                            Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 20-09-2006, 05:38 PM.
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                              Birdie wife.....................don't get me started on bl***y butterflies. I used to like them BEFORE I had an allotment lol.

mark
                              Oops S'pose I don't have so much of a problem with them, as it's quite cold and windy up here. I only had a couple of weeks when they were much of a problem. My sets arrived in the post today, I'm planning to plant them this weekend with an undersowing of clover

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X