Spring onions - get sowing now!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyO View Post
    Hi Herbie, Yes - I grew Ishikura last year and they were a great success am going to grow them again this year too!

Asdas "Tiger Paws" Rolls with home grown spring onions & extra mature cheddar cheese - CORRRRRR - making me hungry!

I also planted them around my carrots (chantennay red cored 2) last year, as i heard that the smell of the onions deters the carrot root fly & i'm happy to say that my carrots were great, & didnt have a problem with the root fly - so thats something i'll be doing again this year too!

TonyO.
    Thanks for the tip Tony, will give this a go as I am pants at carrots and also parsnips. My parsnips were rather pathetic this year. The carrots just seem to disappear! lol so will also try the variety of carrot that you mention.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Thanks PW! I'm going to sow Rossa lunga di Firenze, a red skinned variety that grew well for me last year.
      AKA Angie

Comment

I've just seen this thread. Unfortunately I have completely run out of windowsill space, would it work if I planted the seeds in this way and put them straight into an unheated propagator in my plastic greenhouse to germinate or is it still too cold?

Comment

My spring onions are now over 2 inches tall yay! They are in an unheated greenhouse in module. Would it be ok to plant them out now? Or should I wait till its warmer?
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Serendipity View Post
            I've just seen this thread. Unfortunately I have completely run out of windowsill space, would it work if I planted the seeds in this way and put them straight into an unheated propagator in my plastic greenhouse to germinate or is it still too cold?
            Zazen said earlier in this thread that they can germinate in a greehouse, they just take a while

Comment

Originally posted by Serendipity View Post
              I sowed some onion seeds outdoors [no protection at all] on 20th Feb for my SIL's pickled onion christmas pressie and they are showing now...so not that far behind indoors germinated onions.

Comment

Mine are in module trays in the cold greenhouse. Just starting to show - although I didn't sow them particularly early. I'd say you can plant out now if they're a couple if inches high, as long as you give a week or ten days hardening off - take them outdoors in the day, back in the greenhouse at night.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Cheers Aunty Flum!

Comment

I sowed some white lisbons a bit late last year hoping for a quick crop before winter set in, they grew but were still not quite 'proper' spring onions. One lot in a bucket and one lot in a grow bag that previously had lettuces in. Somehow, don't ask me how, they've survived the winter and are growing on nicely
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Forgot to sow mine! I will do them in modules tomorrow.
                      Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X