Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me how to grow Carrots, Leeks & Onions succesfully!! Please!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrots can take absolutely ages to grow; my fastest were Adelaide (from seed to tummy in 3 months)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I tried germinating carrots in some guttering and then as soon as they showed true leaves I slid them into grooves in the ground (warmed up with some polythene) like you can with peas. It seemed to work. After I planted them I thinned them out and watered them. I reckoned that as they had already been disturbed I might as well do the thinning straight away as I had put miles too many in. The trouble in the past has been germination! I still had to thin them out again later but they were at least big enough to steam and eat whole.

Comment

That's a great idea, Sue! I have plenty of seed left from last year (as well as last month's GYO freebies) and some pea-guttering sitting empty, so I think I'll give it a go. This time last year I was sowing them outside under coke-bottle cloches, but I don't that's going to happen this year!

Comment

can anyone tell me if putting chicken manure in the compost in my poly tunnell will help my tomatoes please

Comment

Originally posted by starter lady View Post
            can anyone tell me if putting chicken manure in the compost in my poly tunnell will help my tomatoes please
            Yes it should do. You might also benefit from adding extra fertiliser (tom feed) once they start setting fruit.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X