No announcement yet.

Planted potatoes in the greenhouse today

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was digging over the garden last week and found some Orla spuds I missed from last year, as they had small shoots and small roots on them I replanted them in one end of a coldframe that I am (hopefully,weather permitting)going to plant the earlies in next month.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain, especially as we're right by the ocean and rarely get a heavy frost.

cheers,

KC
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

If the greenery is not going to see the light of day until April ish, could you start them off in a garage or shed?

Edit:Are the seed spuds chitted before planting them? If so are they ones you've saved yourself from your maincrop just for this purpose or can you buy seed spuds really early?

Red
      Last edited by crazy_red; 13-01-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Yes, you can use tyres where you earth up from one to up to three tyres over a couple of months, or grow in a tall container and just plant the spuds deep . I normally let the growth show by mid march onwards and put some horticultral fleece over. If there is a hard frost I put some plastic sheeting over the fleece. Oh what we do for fresh spuds!
        Give it a go its well worth the gamble, look at how many spuds I got last year! Obviously every year will have a different climate.

Comment

hi

this will be my first year growing spuds so wondered what sort of size bags/pots your are using i.e: roughly how deep would they need to be?

I understand the smaller the pot/bag the less you can grow but If you can give me an idea of the depth I can have a look at B&Q or Wicks however I was thinking of using bags which I can make drain holes in so that I can move them easier (as the bags have handles).

Also, are there any better varieties for early, midcrop and maincrop that are easier to grow? Silly question probably I have read that Rocket are easy to grow, are these earlies?

OF to read some more posts
          Thanks in advance

Comment

I tried various different methods last year, for the cheapest and to be fair it got more potatoes than most of the other methods was chopping a gro bag in half and then planting three seed potatoes as far down the bag than you can reach. Put somedrainage holes in the bottom of each one. It worked a treat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X