No announcement yet.

Favourite veg cultivar?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my plot which is plagued with clubroot the T&M clubroot resistant F1 cabbage and cauliflower, Kilaton and Clapton are a real godsend, at last you can grow decent brassicas that also taste good.

without these varieties I wouldn't be able to grow any at all. the cabbage, kilaton also keeps fairly well which is also an advantage.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

Ferline Tomato is my no. 1 plant, fantastic flavour, vigourous plants, large tomatoes plus it is resistant to blight, my plants didn't get blight till well into october last year, an ideal plant for our lovely uk climate...My freezer is still full of homegrown tomato sauce

Comment

I am a seed catalogue tart and year after year I choose different varieties of most of my vegetables and seem to have great success with them all.

I have come to the conclusion that healthy vegetables, lovingly grown and attended to, and freshly cropped have a great flavour and that the differences in taste between varieties are minimal although tomatoes are an exception.

Resistance to disease or pests is my main concern, and last year I discovered that Rooster potatoes seemed almost immune to slug damage and I will grow them, as well as two other varieties as yet not chosen.

My allotment in Liverpool
        Last edited by allaboutliverpool; 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by allaboutliverpool View Post
          I am a seed catalogue whore
          Oh no
          Now we'll get loads more p0rno spammers
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by allaboutliverpool View Post
            last year I discovered that Rooster potatoes seemed almost immune to slug damage
            Mine weren't. They are full of holes
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out, tart will get foodies!

Comment

Of all the cultivars we've grown over nearly 10 years of veg growing the one that we discovered early and are still growing is the climbing bean Goldfield. They are a flat podded yellow bean, which is very tasty, almost 'buttery' and last a long time on the plant without going stringy and becoming inedible.

The other thing we grow also after an early discovery is courgette 'Striato d'Italia', very easy to grow and a slightly less watery more flavoursome courgette that is also good if missed when picking and allowed to grow to marrow size!
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X