Early Tomato Sowing and Growing thread - poll added please vote

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    me too! I have totally un-itchy fingers, having for years sown things far too early and lived to regret it.

Good luck to all of you ... don't use all your seeds now
    That makes two of us then.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
      That makes two of us then.
      Three
      Although I know I could sustain their growth by heating the greenhouse, i don't want to start paying for gas til April at the earliest - I know one bottle is enough for 2 months

Comment

Strawbs are going in on 6th of Jan

Comment

I was dying to get started on the sowing too Yesterday (28th) I soaked a block of coconut fibre in warmish water and filled 12 tiny papier-mache modules. I've planted 4 of each Scatalone (Italian plum tomatoes), 4 Moneymaker & 4 100's & 1000's. They were all that I had to hand without trawling through the whole of my seed box and getting it muddled up again! They're in an unheated propagator on my kitchen windowsill where (hopefully) they won't get neglected regarding misting/watering
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Ooohh I just checked on my seeds and I have some Toms pokeing through, will have a better look in the morning and see which varieties have germinated so far

Comment

My Toms Red Alert (from Flummery's seed) have germinated today

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

All 3 of the Green Tiger toms from Seahorse are up,
                2 Fresno, 1 Red Cherry and 1 Jalapeno Chillies (these were sown at the same time but not mentioned in my original post. They were old seed, sow by Sept 2007, from a neighbour that apparently hadn't grown for them last year so they were going to throw them away!)

I am moving the propagator to my bedroom window sill which gets more light, and putting tinfoil around the back of it to reflect what there is. I will leave the propagator on as most of the seeds aren't up yet.
                Last edited by BarleySugar; 31-12-2008, 03:44 PM.
                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

hello i am new here if its any use to you all last year i put my beefsteak toms in double deep and gave them twice as much room as what the packet says gave them liquid home brewed manure tea the result was handsome twice as sweet about a third bigger good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
                    All 3 of the Green Tiger toms from Seahorse are up
                    Woohoo! A little vicarious seed sowing thrill for me there
                    I was feeling part of the scenery
                    I walked right out of the machinery
                    My heart going boom boom boom
                    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                    I've come to take you home."

Comment

toms

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                      Woohoo! A little vicarious seed sowing thrill for me there
                      you are to quick ! happy new year.

Comment

I don't know the exact variety as it was from a 'heriatge mix' but I have one tomato germinated as of this morning

Must stop taking the lid off the prop to look at it!
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

My Sunburst are up today as well, but no sign of Tigerella or the Numex Twilight chillies that were fresh seed.
                          It's very dull here today, even on my brightest window sill.
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Sub Arctic Plenty have germinated today - so that's all the toms on their way.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

ill join in!

i sowed 100s and 1000s,about 8 seeds im using westland compost i planted them on the 28th i planted them in a pot.

they just started to come up on 1st jan

Mr worm
                              http://mrwormsblog.blogspot.com/
                              new blog started today!

Comment

Sorry for my late arrival on this thread, travelling, computer problems, internet problems er um oh yes, and some drinking, all combined to make me slightly en retard.

At 1137 on the 29th December (sorry Moon Goddess Zazen I just couldnt do it earlier) I planted 4 each of the following:
                                Roma VF plum toms
                                T+M Sungold
                                Le Mottay cherry toms
                                Les Roches beefsteaks.

They were planted into pots using Sem terreau horticole (basic planting compost) and were placed on the south facing kitchen window sill.
                                This morning (2\01\09) I awoke from my drunken stupour and remembered that I have an unheated propogator in my greenhouse so they are now sat happily in that.
                                They will receive room temperature water, from the bottom as I see fit.

Good luck all, especially those with germination already.
                                As they were supposed to be sown on 27/28 this could be a counter experiment as I was a bit late?
                                Bob Leponge
                                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X