No announcement yet.

Veggies in front garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think that anything that can be grown in the back garden can be grown in the front. I would think one of the main concerns is people reaching over and helping themselves to some free veg.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by sarflo View Post
      In September we got ourselves some chickens which means that we will not be able to grow our tomatoes in the back garden anymore. My husband has built me some 6 foot raised beds for the front garden but I was wondering what would be attractive to grow in the front. We have a half and a quarter plot at the allotments so can do the potatoes, squash, fruit trees etc there. Need some ideas!!
      Strangely enough I do quite a lot of veg in the garden but tend to keep the front for herbs in half barrels, ruby chard, red veined sorrel, any kind of climbing beans (remember most of these were originally imported as ornamentals), tomatoes, strawberries & even a dwarf apple tree. I also intermingle mine with flowers, especially roses and marigolds. If you use the 3 layer effect it is visually fantastic and herbs such as rosemary & lavender make the place smell great as well. Geoff Hamilton did a couple of great books on the subject of cottage gardens and I would recommend borrowing these from your local library for a lot of great ideas

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

growing in front garden

A couple of points--

It's your garden, so do what you want with it!

Are you liable to traffic fumes and pollution? then choose veg where you eat the underground bits: potatoes are the obvious example. As the garden has probably only been used for fairly shallow - rooted plants or a lawn spuds would be a good choice anyway

Would do no harm to check with your Environmental Health Officer

I once had a house at the end of a cul-de - sac, so was fairly traffic free. It was quite small, and made an excellent herb garden

Comment

Even if you live on a pretty major road then I'm still comfortable that they'll be subjected to less pollution than many that you buy from the supermarket and at least you have 100% control over what you put on them in the way of insecticide / fertilisers.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I too have grown runner beans on a wigwam in the front garden - 3 varieties that flower scarlet, pink and white. The neighbours weren't sure about it until they got a gift of surplus beans - now in April/May time they ask if I'm going to be planting again!! This year they'll be doubly blessed 'cos I shall be growing them at the lottie and will have even more space. Hurrah - I love all beans. Sweet peas in the front garden on a wigwam this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X