Heated mat for Tom's and chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

Thanks for that. How do you find the lights and matt affect your electric usage/ cost?
    The lights are about 15W each, so total 30W and the heat mat seems to run at 22W according to my monitor, although this will vary depending on whether it is actually heating (it was at the time) or not. If I have both on for 16 hours a day (the mat is on 24h but will not be heating all the time as it is on a thermostat) that is 16 x 52 = 832Wh/day. Electricity is priced in kWh and if you are on the price cap you will probably be paying something like 28-29p/kWh so a rough calculation for this setup would be about 25p a day. If the heat mat is on full for the whole 24 hours it will add about another 5p.

If you are asking what I pay personally, that's a completely different question. I have solar panels and battery storage, which admittedly cost a considerable amount to install (the solar has already paid for itself). I'm on an electricity tariff that charges me 7.5p/kWh at night, which I use to charge my battery during the winter when the solar isn't enough to run the house 24/7. So the actual cost to me of that electricity would be somewhere between 0p and 7p depending on how much sunshine there was that day.
    Last edited by Penellype; 06-03-2024, 02:49 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The only thing I could do to cut down on expense is plug it into one of those timer plugs that you push in the little peg like slots to turn it on and off. Perhaps every other peg in and out would be ok.

Comment

Well there are already signs of white mould growing on the surface of the damp compost with no signs of growth as yet. It hasn't been watered since I misted the compost when I sowed them. I have taken the lids off.
        Last edited by Marb67; 08-03-2024, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Well there are already signs of white mould growing on the surface of the damp compost with no signs of growth as yet. It hasn't been watered since I misted the compost when I sowed them. I have taken the lids off.
          They'll still come through as long as the overall ambient temp is 'warm'. How long have they been in, have a little careful firkle in the compost and see if you've any germination.
          When ours had germinated I used to leave the lid off but leave the heated prop on so they had bottom heat.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-03-2024, 11:39 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

They'll still come through as long as the overall ambient temp is 'warm'. How long have they been in, have a little careful firkle in the compost and see if you've any germination.
            When ours had germinated I used to leave the lid off but leave the heated prop on so they had bottom heat.
            They have only been sown since the 5th and they take 6 days so there won't be anything yet.

Comment

They have only been sown since the 5th and they take 6 days so there won't be anything yet.
              Thought they'd been in longer. If they are fresh seed I've had peppers/chillies germinate faster than 6 days.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I’ve just been looking for my heated mat. Only to find it underneath OH’s home brew
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mine are all new seeds but still no show after 5 days, and high quality seived new Clover - Irsh peat moss compost.
                  Last edited by Marb67; 10-03-2024, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Possibly the compost is too damp, try mixing a small pot of dry compost with the same amount of course sand or perlite, fill a pot with the mix, sow some seeds as directed, that being to cover with some compost or surface sowing, sit the pot in a tray of water for half an hour then lift out, cover the top of the pot with a poly bag or some clingfilm and place on your mat, I don't use lights for seed germination, only used when seeds are through, and an ordinary 60 watt bulb whither led or filament with a reflector above it's made with aluminium foil works well for me
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

It's not too damp. I only misted it with a spray gun. It does say on the mat guide that Tom's take 6 days.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Marb67; 10-03-2024, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I find tomatoes can be very variable - some can take over 2 weeks to appear depending on conditions. I wouldn't be worried yet and anyway it is very early to be sowing tomatoes unless they are going to live in your house or a heated greenhouse.
                        Last edited by Penellype; 11-03-2024, 08:32 AM.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          I find tomatoes can be very variable - some can take over 2 weeks to appear depending on conditions. I wouldn't be worried yet and anyway it is very early to be sowing tomatoes unless they are going to live in your house or a heated greenhouse.
                          A few toms have started to show (no chillies yet) As soon as they are up and about a couple of inches high I shall take them into the cold greenhouse to slowly harden them off in the daytime and bring them in evening.
                          Last edited by Marb67; 11-03-2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

It's not too damp. I only misted it with a spray gun. It does say on the mat guide that Tom's take 6 days.
                            When I said possibly too damp, it was because you said there was a white mould forming, but the photo doesn't show any sign of mould, also info on your heat mat and seed packets are as you mentioned only a guide, it doesn't mean that they will definitely germinate and show within that time scale, the most important thing to have when sowing seeds is patience, seeds can and often do take longer to show than the time given in guides
                            Last edited by rary; 11-03-2024, 01:00 PM.
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

A few toms have started to show (no chillies yet) As soon as they are up and about a couple of inches high I shall take them into the cold greenhouse to slowly harden them off in the daytime and bring them in evening.
                              Keep an eye on the temperature when they’re out of the house. One minute it’s fine & sunny,next it’s grey & cold,a thermometer helps more,if it’s below 10 degrees they’ll get too cold,the plants leaves will give you signs of happiness & health of plant. Once the plants are a couple of months old they’re tougher to 8 degrees,I’ve just got an old style thermometer but by now,growing for years,you can feel in your body the temperatures to cold for a tomato plant if you need to wear a coat.

Comment

Quite a few of the toms have popped up (gave the little leaves a gentle tap to strengthen the stems as Toby Buckland once advised) and switched the lamp on. Non of the chillies (all different brands) have shown up (middle tray) so not sure whether to leave the mat on or not as the toms won't need it.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240312_165142.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	2576360

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X