No announcement yet.

bought seed potatoes now what ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always regard my 2 very early buckets as a gamble, which comes off most years. In 2022 the first bucket (which I plant in January) got frosted leaves even in the greenhouse and produced a very small crop. Otherwise they have been ok, but these are in buckets where the amount of water can be much more easily controlled. They do take a very long time to emerge at this time of year though, so they could well be shocked when I first plant them. I also tend to choose potatoes that have long chits and look desperate for planting so they probably wouldn't do much good waiting until April in any case.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I tend to plant earlies end March, 23rd last year but have fleece ready when they emerge in case of a late frost. Swift is a determinate variety and if that gets frosted the plant dies, other varieties, like rocket, will recover. Lates I tend to plant towards end of April.

Comment

To be honest, I often plant my earlies and second earlier about now, and they always do fine.
        I won't be planting them just yet this year, mind you. Too cold still, and the ground is too wet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X