No announcement yet.

Clearing scrubland

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes folks there are some raspberries to go in, as well as gooseberries, I actually put a tub over some rhubarb plants this morning, as there are new shoots showing, I'm a bit wary of putting some from the garden into the field, just incase I introduce flatworms with it as at present it would appear that they are not in there just now as i did dig up several worms this morning, it's possible that the water acts as a barrier to them, of course that is just a wild guess, but as I have had them in the garden for several years I would have thought they would have made their way into the field by now but as the haven't I don't want to be responsible for introducing them there
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I can understand your concern about introducing flatworms through transplanting. Maybe you could put some feelers out with friends etc. to see if anyone has a lump of their rhubarb you could give a home to? It's about the time when lots of people will be thinking about dividing old plants.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that you can propagate rhubarb from cuttings (it was fairly basic - chop of about the top 1/4 of a stem, cut off around 3/4 of the leaf & stick in a glass of water to root). Not as quick to harvest as a lump of someone else's - it wouldn't really be ready for planting out until next year - but cheaper than buying what you already have & it's always a bit more fun to make your own.

Comment

I collected some brambles from further up the field today and planted them around the branches they will hopefully make everything more secure and possibly keep the deer out
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Planted some rhubarb then 7 raspberry cains, still waiting on the gooseberries to arrive and will watch out for some apple trees going on sail in Lidl, the soil in this bit of ground is really very good, so hopeful of a decent crop of fruits

Comment

Nice work rary - with rhubarb & raspberries in the ground it's now officially a proper plot

I wish it would stop raining here so we can do something on ours

Comment

rary When do they have fruit trees? Are they in store?
              Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                rary When do they have fruit trees? Are they in store?
                I think they have them in-store now CG, I will nip down to the local lidils tomorrow and check

Comment

Ifo for CG first, there are no fruit trees on sale at the local Lidl shop, and having picked up their weekly info magazine nothing next week either, though it might be worth checking one in your area.
                  collected more cardboard boxes today, if any one asked me what I thought was the best way of preparing new ground, I would advise digging it over, removing perennial weed roots as the digging progresses, with a high probability of recommending double digging if the roots were deep, so it will be interesting to see how things develop on this plot, as it is what I would consider scrubland which I unfortunately cannot dig, so I intend putting down several layers of cardboard and hopefully turn it into a usable plot

Comment

Thanks Rary . Going tomorrow so I will have a look in ours.

Good luck on your plot job. I'd come help if I were nearer.
                    Northern England.

Comment

rary no fruit trees or anything much,
                      just herb pots and house plants today.
                      Northern England.

Comment

Just a quick update, after the initial covering of the ground with cardboard, I have applied more as any greenery showers through, which is a practice I will continue to use as things progress, should have taken photos but not a thing I am in the habit of doing, unlike some of the younger folk who seem to photograph everything, wil try and remember to take some the next time I am out, as it is everything seems to be making progress, though even cut branches will throw some buds at this time of year, will just have to monitor how things progress

Comment

Would be great to see some pics if you do get chance rary - although I must admit I'm not much good at doing that myself. I keep saying I'll take monthly pics like Penellype does but only ever seem to take them between May and August (not counting a pic of some freshly spread horse do-do in November & a close-up of some sprouts in December lol).

Comment

Had a look at the plot today and put down some cardboard mainly at the outer edges, once I am feeling more energetic I will get some cardboard right underneath the boundaries I want to plant some climbing nasturtium to scramble cover the wood, the cardboard doesn't look very tidy but does seem to be doing it's job
                            Last edited by rary; 17-04-2024, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Just to add the metal frame across the wee burn is to stop the deer walking in, I am also looking for wood chip to cover the area, which I hope, so the same job as snow, make the place look tidy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X